Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint metal door frames

homediynoob
Finding My Feet

How to paint metal door frames

AED2A772-816E-4DF6-865E-C80001284405.jpeg

71991B6B-B9AF-4AE3-90F0-334B3B016782.jpeg

  

Hi there, 

I am wanting to repaint the metal door frames in my house. Not sure where to start as the instructions on the web seem to all be around wooden door frames. The metal door frames do have chips here and there so not sure if I need to prepare them in another way? 

Thanks so much. 

mattwhite
Growing in Experience

Re: How to paint metal door frames

I wasn’t no. I will be now though. I’ll report back once I get back to it. 

juliancanhelp
Finding My Feet

Just posting on here from my DIY experience. Aquanamel is NOT for DIY people, I would not attempt to use a brush or roller with this unless you are a professional painter. In saying that a lot of professional painted would not touch this paint to apply by hand. Spray painting this paint is the only way you will get a reasonable finish.

I think if using Gloss it would be different and more forgiving but I used Low Gloss.

After a lot of trial and error I ended up spray painting Aquanamel on my door frames and doors. All frames that I did with a brush look hideous. All waterbased enamels dry much faster than Oil based enamel. The slow drying time of oil based enamel allows the brush strokes to flow into the surface that is why you get a smoother nice finish.

Added some photos. I used Aquanamel Vivid White Low Gloss. I also used Floetrol to thin paint for spraying.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/flood-floetrol-4l-acrylic-paint-and-stain-conditioner_p1563340

Screenshot 2024-07-13 130848.png

Door Spray Painted Aquanamel Vivid White FlatDoor Spray Painted Aquanamel Vivid White Flat

Hi @juliancanhelp,

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

As you've said, Aquanamel is a quick-drying paint, which in some situations is a pro, and in others, it can be a con. 

Using a brush or roller with this product can be difficult because it will dry very quickly meaning brush and roller marks can be difficult to avoid and overworking the paint will be fairly obvious.

Ultimately, using Floetrol and a paint sprayer has given you a fantastic finish that you can be very proud of.

Once again, thank you for sharing.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects