Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint exterior balustrade?

jax1
Just Starting Out

How to paint exterior balustrade?

Hi, I’m looking at painting my verandah balustrade and later, my sliding windows and doors. Can you advise best way to do it? Do I need to prime the balustrade or just the windows and door ? Should I use a small roller to do the balustrade or a brush or spray? What would

image000004.jpeg

image000001.jpeg

give it the best professional looking appearance? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint exterior balustrade?

Hello @jax1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about repainting your exterior balustrade.  

The general steps to paint steel is to sand the surface of the painted steel. It's not necessary to sand all of the paint off unless it is in really very bad condition. Scuffing the surface of the paint provides a rough surface for the primer to hold onto. Once the steel has been sanded the surface must be wiped clean, I suggest using a shop vac with the brush head attachment to get all the debris on the steel. When the surface is ready, the primer is then put onto the steel and once that has cured you then put on the topcoat.

Due to the size of your balustrade, I suggest doing it in sections so that you don't need to sand the entire balustrade in one go. Using a combination of a brush and roller is ok and will produce an adequate finish on your balustrade. But of course, the best finish is often achieved with a spray gun as there are no brush strokes visible. However, if you have not used a spray gun before I suggest doing a practice run with the spray gun to familiarize yourself with how it works and what settings affect the spray.

I propose looking at the White Knight Rust Guard System as it is a step-by-step paint set. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint metal.

In regards to painting your aluminium window, the steps are very similar. 

Here is a link to our best advice: What is the best way to paint aluminium windows?

Here are some excellent window and door painting projects our Workshop members have shared:

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint window frames

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jax1
Just Starting Out

Re: How to paint exterior balustrade?

Thank you so much Eric. Will practise with a spray gun first definitely, and use a brush and roller for the smaller areas when required. 
Appreciate your help 😊 

What sheen do you suggest?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects