Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a bookcase with a veneer?

jarko
Growing in Experience

How to paint a bookcase with a veneer?

I have an ikea billy book case in an 'oak effect' colour.

I don't know exactly what ikea products are made of, appears to be chipboard with a plastic-like edge banding and veneer.

I want to paint the book case in a different colour, but I don't know the correct type of paint/primer to use.

Can anybody suggest the correct products to use to ensure the paint adheres?

Thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to paint a bookcase with a veneer?

Hi @jarko,

It might be best to contact the furniture's manufacturer to get the specific materials used and their recommendation for paint that would adhere so our experts can give specific advice on appropriate materials. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint an 'oak effect' ikea product

Hi @jarko,

As Jason mentioned, your best bet is to speak with the manufacturer.

Without knowing exactly what the surface is, it's difficult to offer advice. Typically, the Dulux Precision Primer Max Adhesion is your best bet when it comes to difficult-to-paint surfaces. However, I would do a test section to see how well it binds to the surface in an inconspicuous section. Apply some and wait for it to dry entirely. You can then place masking tape over the area from one side to the other. Rip the tape off in a fast motion, if it doesn't pull the primer off you should be fine to use it. 

Before using the primer, Dulux recommends that shiny surfaces be dulled with 240-grit sandpaper.

For top coating over the primer, you'd use a water-based enamel paint like Dulux Aquanamel.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

jarko
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc ,

Can you help me understand why you recommend to use a water-base enamel paint?

Why is that more beneficial than using a low sheen paint like https://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-vivid-white-low-sheen-wash-wear-interior-paint-4l_p1370158?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Enamel paint is much harder than the soft wall paint you've linked to @jarko. If you were to use that on furniture, you could scrape it off with your fingernail; it's just not durable enough for the wear and tear.

Why would you like to use a low-sheen wall paint? Was it because you don't want to use a gloss or semi-gloss enamel paint? You can also get Aquanamel in low-gloss, which is similar to low-sheen.

Mitchell

jarko
Growing in Experience

Honestly.. it's because I have it in my garage and was not aware it was incorrect until your message - so thanks!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects