Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to match a stain?

Carolyn3636
Getting Established

How to match a stain?

Does anyone know how we can match the stain on the staircase as the handrail needs some touch ups. It's a Metricon home. There is a Cabot's rich walnut mentioned in the documents for some areas of the house but we are not sure of the colour on the staircase. Also how do we know if the stain is water or oil based? Thanks

1000010896.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: match a stain

Hi @Carolyn3636,

Thank you for your question about matching stains.

Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult to match stains as they are relative to the timber they have been applied to.

If you have access to your construction documents, do they specify what timber was used for the stairs? Or the subcontractor who installed them? 

It's hard with big builders like Metricon as they have so many subcontractors working for them that it might be difficult to track down who actually did the job, but contacting Metricon to ask the question might be a good place to start. They may have a record of the stair builder who may be able to advise what specific product they used.

From your photos, it looks like they've used a stain and varnish, but it's hard to say whether it is water or oil-based.

To determine if timber has been coated with oil- or water-based stain and varnish, feel the surface. Oil-based finishes tend to feel slightly tacky or sticky, whereas water-based finishes feel smooth and dry. You can also try placing a drop of water on the timber. If the water beads up, it's likely an oil-based finish, while faster absorption indicates a water-based finish.

They may have used Cabot's Gloss Oil Based Walnut Stain And Varnish or Cabot's Walnut Water Based Stain And Varnish, but there is no way to know for sure without trying. You may be able to use a scrap piece of timber to compare it with the stairs.

Allow me to tag @arfabuck, @Nailbag and @Noyade to see if they have any advice to offer.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: match a stain

Hi @Carolyn3636 

I can't really offer any further comment than those made by @JacobZ. My only suggestion would be to contact Metricon and see if one of their interior designers can assist. They may have access to the details of all the finishes associated with your address.

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects