Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make wooden ramps for my chihuahua?

SJD13
Finding My Feet

How to make wooden ramps for my chihuahua?

IMG_4346.jpeg

IMG_4348.jpeg

IMG_3328.jpeg

Hi everyone, seeking some help as a newbie, wanna be ‘DYIer’. I’ve got all the gear and no idea. 

I’d like to replicate this cork wedge step in wood. I’ll then pop on some marine carpet or some other non slip covering.

My Chihuahua (Ben) has started to struggle a little with the steps in our multi level home. I saw these cork wedges and thought this may be the answer! 

I’m looking to build them 15.5-16cm H x 25cm W x 22cm D. Any suggesting or help would be fantastic. It will be for indoor use only. 

Thanks

Samantha 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make wooden ramps for my chihuahua?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @SJD13. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a doggy ramp.

I'd suggest it would be a much less involved project to make a solid ramp for your doggo, rather than individual wedges. You'd likely be able to construct a ramp and fix it in place in a few hours, whereas creating the wedges could take quite a few days. The only advantage I can see of the wedges is that they suit people with different numbers of steps. In your case, since that's not going to change, I'd recommend going the ramp route, as I've illustrated below. I've also popped a picture of a wedge showing how you'd need to construct it with timber; it's got some quite complex angular cuts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I, too, would go the ramp path @SJD13 

20667c20060792aa32f18496d3d4b7db.jpg

Clipboard01.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve decided to move forward with a ramp. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's great to hear @SJD13. SHout out if you need further assistance or have questions; we're keen to assist.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects