Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Check before drilling holes, driving screws and shooting nails in to walls

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Check before drilling holes, driving screws and shooting nails in to walls

I was asked to remove a section of external fibre cement sheeting to allow the plumber to find a suspected slow gas leak. They weren't able to find it there and pressure tested other areas without luck. In the end, they decided to run a new gas line back to the meter. 

The next day, before refitting the section of board I was asked to remove a now disconnected copper gas pipe section that protruded out in the corner. Once cut I couldn't get the small 20mm piece of pipe out through the stud hole, which had me suspecting I had found the origin of the gas leak. 

A thin 16Ga brad fixing the external sheet had pierced through 12mm of fibre cement, then about 15mm of hardwood stud and through the copper gas pipe. I wouldn't have thought that gauge brad could do it but it did.

So, a reminder always consider what might be behind a wall your drilling, screw driving or shooting nails into

IMG_8430.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Check before drilling holes, driving screws and shooting nails in to walls

Hi @Nailbag,

It can happen to even the most experienced tradesman.

I always try to take photos with reference to a datum point when I need to close in services. That way I can at least have an idea of where things are when I can no longer see them.

If you don't have access to the inside of the wall to take photos, it's definitely worth checking your building plans to understand where the services are prior to screwing or fixing into walls. 

Also ensure you turn off the power, water or gas at their source to prevent unnecessary damage to yourself or your property.

Thank you for sharing this experience with our community.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: Check before drilling holes, driving screws and shooting nails in to walls

Couldn't agree any more with your recommendations @JacobZ 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects