Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to level sections of concrete garage floor for laminate?

Will03
Finding My Feet

How to level sections of concrete garage floor for laminate?

Hey Team!

This is a meaty one - thanks in advance.

So, I'm in (what I certainly hope) are the final stages of a garage conversion.

I've framed, plastered & painted. I've purchased Floating Floor which according to their specifications already has a 1MM EVA underlay layer... Though it also recommends adding a poly-film between the concrete and laminate - so I was planning to use this although would've preferred not having 50m of it!

The floor is 10m x 4m and (in most places) is within the specs the manufacturer requires for level and slope.

Will03_0-1723179652172.png

There are 2 places however that are not in spec.

Place 1) There's a channel appx 3m long and <1m wide with a max depth of 15mm

--> It seems to me a self-leveler would work well here... I'd love to know what the difference between these 3 is:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/lanko-20kg-133-pro-level-floor-leveller_p0966662

https://www.bunnings.com.au/sika-20kg-sikafloor-level-pro-underlayment_p0760431

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bastion-20kg-floor-leveller_p0273642

I don't think the #1 or #3 speak to coverage, so I'd be inclined to go with #2. #3 also doesn't like to go deeper than 12mm.

#2 also speaks to 'bulking out' with aggregate to reach 50mm thicknesses - which may be useful for my 2nd Place.

The Plan

Given we're essentially just 'filling a hole' here, apply Primer, mix self-leveler, pour slowly, trowel if needed.

Wasn't going to bother with a spiked roller to remove air-bubbles e.g this particularly since I'm not overly concerned if the final surface isn't perfectly smooth, with laminate going on top.

Place 2) There's a 4m long 1m wide section along the wall, sloping downwards towards the wall at a max height of 25mm.

Based on the coverage of self-leveler #2 above, I'd imagine I might need more than 1 bag, which I'm hoping to avoid, given the cost.

My thoughts here were:

1. Use concrete @ $8 a bag and then add a light self-leveler topcoat in the event it is needed (first-time concreting, although extensive plasterer, so not my 1st rodeo on a trowel 👍) - downside being the dry-time.

2. Use some ply / MDF / OSB - downside being the risk of moisture

3. Use some cement sheet - downside being you can't easily cut it to size and that it's not particularly cheap.

4. 'bulk out' the Self-Leveler with some Aggregate maybe this one although it's not within the 1-2mm the Sika PDS mentions - any advice on how to do this? Which aggregate to use and any downsides of doing this e.g rough impact on drying time?

The Plan

To avoid splashes:

• Cover the lower corners of the plaster in painters tape / drop sheet

To prevent the self-leveler running under the plaster (given that's where the slope leads):

Apply Primer, mix self-leveler, incorporate aggregate, pour slowly, trowel.

Once dry, I'd imagine it will be worthwhile to then add a 'top layer', in the event the aggregate is visible?

1 other question relating to both pours - given the floor is on a 5mm slope overall, is this likely to affect the self-leveler?

i.e is it going to 'pool' slightly higher on the lower point? Or is there some 'minimum threshold' it wouldn't self-level over in the span of the time it takes to start setting?

My guess would've been that it's not an issue, or, that I'd very lightly re-trowel it after 5-10min to prevent it from doing this.

Thanks so much

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to level sections of concrete garage floor for laminate?

Hello @Will03 

Thanks for sharing your question about levelling sections of your concrete garage floor. 

You've pretty much nailed the differences in what you've read regarding the specifications of the floor levellers. Sika will technically do a 30mm fill in one go, Lanko will do 25 and Bastion will do 12mm. All of them more or less dry at the same rate with the same provision regarding thickness and current atmospheric conditions. Because they are all 20kg, they will cover the same amount of area at a particular thickness.

The areas you are trying to fill are quite extensive and it does start adding up when you use more than five bags of leveller. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the areas you'll be filling in? This will give our members a better idea of its condition. 

The ideas you've suggested are actually quite good. I was going to recommend using plywood or OSB. To prevent moisture damage, I suggest putting builder's plastic on the concrete surface before you put the wood over the surface. You then put another layer of builder's plastic over the plywood/OSB for even better moisture protection. If you can level it out just using plywood and OSB it will save you a ton of effort. 

Using concrete is another option, but if you are pressed for time then it's not a viable solution. Masking the area with painters drop sheets or builder's plastic will prevent concrete from splashing on your walls is a great idea. 

As for the rest of the plans it sounds really good. I totally agree with re-trowelling the surface just to make sure that the fall is correct. I would probably double check it with a spirit level just to be safe.  

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Will03 sounds like you’ve already got most of it covered correctly with that extra advice from @EricL 

I recently had a job to level a 2m x 4m sunroom conversion that had a badly uneven concrete floor. It was to be tiled with small 100 x 100 tiles so a similar issue as yours needed a pretty level base. Some sections had a 20mm difference so cement sheet was out. 

I went with one of your plans and used concrete to build the deepest areas to save on leveller. I used 1200 and 2400 levels to mark out these areas to concrete and applied bondcrete then the concrete screeded the areas off.

Once dried checked my low points, marked them and then applied leveller to those spots. If you make the. Mix a little wetter and use the mixing rod on a high powered drill or mixer for longer, you will hardly get any bubbles. 

You only have a couple of minutes to feather out the edges with your towel then leave it. Leveller isn’t supposed to be troweled and it can result in high spots on the edges

Once poured don’t pour more on top only the edges otherwise it will creat a step. Pouring on the edges allows the leveller to do its thing best.

Nailbag

IMG_7984.jpeg

IMG_7984.jpeg

IMG_8056.jpeg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @Will03 

I really like your reasoning, it makes sense and you have stepped through what I would do. Like you I have never done any floor leveling tho @EricL's extra bits and @Nailbag's pics really make it a lot more "breathable and not stressed :smile: " to do.

With you leveling your garage I had the same decision when I retrofitted mine, I actually had more of a fall then you do over the entire distance and considered a false floor even. In the end I just layed (Placed carpet tiles) carpet tiles over the concrete and it isnt noticible. I did have to chock the bookcases level and give them a false plinth but it came up nicely. Bookcase retrofit to create a garage library is the project.

I will be following along to see how you go with the leveling.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects