Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix lock mechanism that won't unlock with key?

panoramica
Growing in Experience

How to fix lock mechanism that won't unlock with key?

The regular door on my garage is not unlocking, so I currently have to enter my garage workshop via the noisy and public roller door.

Initially the key wasn't going in at all. This was resolved by spraying graphite powder on the key and in the key opening and moving it around with the key.

Then the bolt wasn't sliding past the door frame plate. This was resolved by rubbing graphite powder on the bolt and door frame plate.

Then the snib wasn't rotating freely. This was resolved by removing the handle on the inside side, spraying graphite in then blowing it out and around with compressed air, and also by removing a chunk of wood that had found its way in there somehow.

So the lock is now well lubricated. I can lock and unlock the door from the inside. I can pull the door to when it is unlocked, with or without turning the handle, or when it is locked (when the handle doesn't turn).

But I still can't use the key to unlock it from the outside. What am I missing?

Note that I am living in a rental which the garage is part of. So I'd prefer to repair what's there rather than install a new lock which needs new keys.

Side angleSide angleDoor snib and bolt in locked positionDoor snib and bolt in locked positionPut the key in the lock but cannot rotate it left or rightPut the key in the lock but cannot rotate it left or rightDoor unsnibbed, handle turns freely to rightDoor unsnibbed, handle turns freely to right

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix lock mechanism that won't unlock with key?

Thanks for your post @panoramica

Please note that a couple of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts are taking a well-earned break at the moment, so there might be a bit of a delay before one can get back to you. Sorry about that.

Let me see if some other helpful members might be able to share their approach: @Dave-1@Remarka6le@Super_D.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Any luck contacting the rental agency / owner to repair the lock if you're in a rental, it would be a pretty quick and cheap fix, and you shouldn't be forking out any money for it. In my mind I would be looking at the key itself. Try another key if you have one. If not, it might be worth visiting a locksmith to see if they can assess the key and perhaps even make a new one. They'd be able to tell you for sure whether the key is the culprit, or rule it out. Also have a check to see if the strike plate on the door frame is securely fastened and aligned with the deadbolt. If it's loose or misaligned, it can prevent the key from turning.

Remarka6le

@Remarka6le Thanks for your reply. I just tried another key and that didn't help. The strike plate is probably a little wonky, but the bolt always goes into it smoothly from the other side.

I'm afraid of asking the property manager to fix things as we haven't had a rent increase in several years (don't poke the bear). However in my DIY excitement I slipped with the drill and broke the adjacent window. I've managed to patch it up with custom wood but it's a security risk so now I'll have to contact him anyway. Sigh, such is life.

Morning @panoramica 

I was going to suggest to contact the owner as well for pretty much the same reasons. The bit that may be causing the issues is your mention of the timber piece inside. Something could still be wedged in there from that causing it not to want to turn or more likely wedge at the end of the key chamber so the key looks like it is all the way in but not quiet and this is why the lock wont spin. (Had a key at work the other day that was missing a bit and that was the reason is the only reason it comes to mind)

BTW any exterior lock should be deadbolted in a rented place. 

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @panoramica 

If this is the original key then it should work properly, but if the door lock does not engage it's either the wrong key or the lock itself is damaged. Generally speaking, it would be more affordable to change the set with a new Ikonic Brushed Nickel Ruby Entrance Set. But as Dave-1 mentioned it might be worth investing in a set with a deadbolt such as the Ikonic Brushed Nickel Ruby Combination Entrance Set for better security.

I'm aware that rental properties have strict rules regarding changing doorknobs. But if it is a security risk then I suggest informing them of your intentions regarding replacing the existing door knob.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to change a door knob

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects