Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay masonite underlay?

Ange1003
Just Starting Out

How to lay masonite underlay?

Hi,

I am looking to lay Masonite underlay on yellow tongue in preparation for vinyl planks.

Everything I read online says to use about a billion staples however Eric recommends ‘ring shanked nails every 200mm… can someone please confirm tithe best method to lay Masonite  AND if a billion staples is really necessary?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to lay masonite underlay?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Ange1003. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing Masonite underlay.

The advice from our supplier on installing Masonite underlay on particleboard is that you'll need more fixings if you use staples compared to nails. When using staples, you'd likely need a higher quantity—closer to one staple every 100mm around the edges and 150mm through the body of the sheet. This could add up to a substantial number of staples per sheet, ensuring the underlay is fully secured and won't shift or lift over time.

In contrast, ring-shanked nails offer superior holding power, meaning fewer fixings are needed. Typically, you'd use nails spaced 200mm apart along the edges and across the sheet, which works out to around 24 fixings per 1220 x 915mm sheet. Both methods are effective, but staples require more frequent application to achieve the same level of stability as nails.

Ultimately, either method works well for laying Masonite underlay. If you opt for staples, they will provide excellent grip, but expect to use more of them. For a simpler installation with fewer fixings, the ring-shanked nails are a great choice.

If you have any more questions or need further clarification, feel free to let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects