Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install vinyl tiles for step outside shower?

TW1
Just Starting Out

How to install vinyl tiles for step outside shower?

2B822F5E-3A68-42E0-92E2-1D857FB42C48.jpeg

Hi! Impulsive rookie here. I bought some vinyl floor tiles for a step outside my shower - small space, just to cover some mismatching tiles - shown in photo. I then read better the part about applying the vinyl tiles over a FLAT surface, not existing tiles. These are options I have thought of with no insight into how difficult/pitfalls etc. any other suggestions very welcome:

(a) sticking piece of v thin timber plywood  on top of step, to then apply vinyl tiles to

(b) some sort of surface leveller for a small space that is easy to use??!!!

thanks for reading!

TW1
Just Starting Out

Re: surface under vinyl tiles?

Maybe some type of thin sheeting like cement type? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: surface under vinyl tiles?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TW1. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing vinyl tiles.

Given the amount of work required to install the vinyl tiles, I think it would be worth considering just tiling over the existing tiles. You'll have a much more durable surface, and it would be easier than having to adhere sheeting to the existing tiles and the vinyl tiles to that. You'll also end up with a much nicer finish as otherwise, you'd likely see the board you've used from the side.

You'd probably get away with simply applying tile adhesive right over what's there. Here's a helpful guide: How to lay floor tiles.

The sheeting you could use under the vinyl tiles might depend on how you intend to attach them. Are they self-adhesive, or will you be using contact adhesive? Cement sheeting could be an option, but it will not look particularly great on the edge. Perhaps you could paint it to blend in.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects