Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install insulation (Earthwool) around downlights?

Matkai
Growing in Experience

How to install insulation (Earthwool) around downlights?

We plan to install some boards in our roof space to store lightweight items. Before proceeding, we want to install Earthwool insulation batts.

My question is: Given that we have downlights in all rooms, do we need to cover these with special shrouds available for purchase, or can we create a barrier using foilboard to keep the insulation away from the lights while ensuring adequate ventilation?

Thank You

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Installing Insulation (Earthwool) Around Downlights - cover ?

Hi @Matkai,

Given the importance and safety implications of keeping insulation away from heat sources, I suggest using shrouds designed for that purpose rather than creating your own with Foil board. The additional cost of the shrouds would be worth it to not have to worry about whether your D.I.Y approach is sufficient.

Also, remember that roof timbers are not designed to bear weight, and it would be best to enlist the services of a professional to determine whether using the area for storage would be feasible.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects