Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to incorporate smoke alarms in Arlo system?

SamyH
Finding My Feet

How to incorporate smoke alarms in Arlo system?

I have numerous Arlo cameras external to the house and have a base station (smart hub) which allows me to check the security of my property.  I originally had a Solution One/Bosch wired system which had integrated wired smoke alarms connected to my mobile. However, the system has developed some fault and therefore I opted for the wifi enabled Arlo cameras to replace the system. The issue I am now facing is how to incorporate smoke detectors in the system so that I am alerted on my Arlo phone app that there is an issue somewhere. From what I understand is that you need a Arlo camera in the proximity of the smoke detector and the smoke detector has to generate some specfic alarm patterns for the Arlo camera to pick up the warning. However, I have not been able to find definitive documentation here in Australia to make that work. Would love to hear from someone who has had success. Thanks in anticipation. Cheers, Samy 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to incorporate smoke alarms in Arlo system?

Hello @SamyH, 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about incorporating smoke alarms into the Arlo system.

Here is a link on instructions on how to test your Arlo device - How do I test my Arlo device with my smoke and carbon monoxide detectors?

Note that this test is only good for these models - VMC4040P, FB1001, VMC4041P, VMC4050P, VMC5040, VMC2040. If you have a different model other than those mentioned, I'll have to make further inquiries for you.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SamyH
Finding My Feet

Hey Eric thanks for that very useful information. The only question I have is what smoke and CO detectors are available which are compatible with T3/T4 alarm patterns? Are they available at Bunnings? 

Cheers.

Samy

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SamyH 

The T3 is a common pattern in some smoke alarm systems, however, before purchasing the alarm have a look at the product manual under testing procedures. It should describe it under acoustics as 1 per second (3X) with a 1.5 second gap.  

The only two that show it on their manuals is the FirePro Photoelectric Interconnect Smoke Alarm and the First Alert Combination Photoelectric Smoke And Carbon Monoxide Alarm With 10-Year Battery. If you decide to look at other models just make sure to check their manuals and testing methods.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

SamyH
Finding My Feet

Thanks again Eric. I have checked out the alarms you have mentioned...my only hesitation is that most of the reviews of the said products seem to be overly negative. However, I am led to believe that most alarms do send out false alarms at times. I will check my current Arlo cameras and see if any of them fit the required model else will proceed with acquiring the new cameras and the alarms. Thanks a lot for your assistance thus far. Will keep you posted of how things work out.

Cheers,
Samy

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SamyH 

One other way to test the Arlo system is to do a test run on your old smoke alarm system. Perhaps it has a T3 system that you can use. The only other way that comes to mind for you to simulate a smoke alarm system is to download an app that simulates a smoke alarm. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects