Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to identify and address water damage and possible mould?

davidc12
Finding My Feet

How to identify and address water damage and possible mould?

Hi everyone,

Please see the attached image below.

I recently discovered some damage in my home that I believe is caused by water leakage. While I'm planning to get a professional to resolve it, I need some advice on what steps I should take in the meantime. Here are my main concerns:

1. Is this mould? If it is, I understand it needs to be addressed quickly due to health concerns.
  2. What immediate actions should I take to prevent further damage or health risks until a professional can fix the issue?

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

davidc12_0-1722313406080.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to identify and address water damage and possible mould?

Hello @davidc12 

Thanks for sharing your question about your damaged flooring. The green colour under the timber surface is a strong indication that it's been compromised. But if the surface seal on the flooring is still intact there should be no issue regarding the mould. You can double check this by touching the surface of the floor where the mould is. If it feels very dusty then the mould has made its way to the surface of the board.

If that's the case, I suggest getting a bottle of cleaning vinegar and a clean rag. Soak 1/2 of the rag in cleaning vinegar and fold it with the wet section out. Place the folded rag on top of the mould patch for at least 45 minutes. Once the time is up, remove the rag and clean the area with ordinary detergent and water. At this point the cleaning vinegar has killed the mould all the way to the roots. All that's needed is to wait for the handy person to replace your board and silicone seal the edges so that this does not happen again.            

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects