Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix retaining wall crack?

premmas
Just Starting Out

How to fix retaining wall crack?

IMG_6506.jpeg

Hello, I have a fencing in the form of a retaining wall which is mostly fine. In one corner, I have a letter box into the retaining wall. There’s also a tree behind it. The wall has split at the seam.

Can you please advise me how to close it up? 
pictures attached

thanks

Prem

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Retaining wall crack

Hello @premmas 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about filling the gap in your retaining wall.

Before you begin, I suggest cleaning the gap with a brush to remove all the dirt and debris that has gone on to the side of the gap. Once the gap is very clean, I suggest filling the gap first with Moroday 6mm x 5m White Gap Filler Rod. Push the filler rod about 3mm deep into the gap, make sure not to push too deep or you'll end up using a lot of silicone gap filler. The purpose of the filler rod is to prevent the silicone from flowing down the gap. I then recommend using Selleys 430g White No More Gaps Exterior Gap Filler to fill the gap. 

Here are some handy step-by-step guides: 

The repair I've suggested is a stop gap measure. I would also like to suggest doing a bit of an investigation as to why such a gap occurred near your retaining wall. Is it because of the tree roots or something else? By finding out what caused the damage you'll be able to apply a more long-lasting repair that will prevent your retaining wall from forming gaps again. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
premmas
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric

Thanks so much for answering my question

It was very informative and detailed. I appreciate that you took the time to advise the right products too.

Would you recommend putting cement/concrete in the gap?

Thanks

Prem

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @premmas 

I would not advise putting concrete in the gap. Your goal is to prevent rainwater and moisture from entering the gap. Concrete is porous and will allow water to go through. As I mentioned in my last post, I suggest investigating the cause of the crack and prevent it from causing further damage.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects