Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix pneumatic furniture stay?

threemonkeys
Growing in Experience

How to fix pneumatic furniture stay?

I've got a brand new pneumatic furniture stay and the whole thing's jammed up, I can't get it to move, am I missing something here? The instructions are useless it doesn't tell me if it's even if it's open or closed how am I supposed to install it if I don't know if it's open or closed?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: pneumatic furniture stay not working

Hello @threemonkeys 

I'm sorry to hear that the furniture stay is not working. Can you still get access to it? Can you please tell us the exact model and brand of the stay you purchased. As soon as you provide the information needed. We can check it out and get in contact with our supplier regarding the instructions.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @threemonkeys,

Pneumatic furniture stays always come in the open position. Unless this is one of the larger gas struts, then you should be able to quite easily compress the stay by hand. Place one end of the stay on the ground and see if you can easily compress it with body weight. If not, it sounds like it is faulty, and we are happy to exchange it for you if it's one of our units.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell, that worked, didn't budge at all till I put a fair bit of weight into it.

It is a Bunnings one, works well now I've got it installed, the instructions were pretty lean though so I had to go to the net for video tutorials. It would have been helpful to know how far from the hinges to position it for the weight of door I put it on, I think the recommended distance on the pack is a bit close to the hinges for mine.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @threemonkeys 

I'm sure @MitchellMc will be happy to hear that you got the furniture stay working. Please don't forget to post a photo update of your project. I'm sure our members will be keen to see what you're working on.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

threemonkeys
Growing in Experience

IMG_20240919_162043.jpg

I used it on a top hung closet door, it was a real pain trying to get things in and out of it without a hinge or something to hold it open, I saw something similar in caravans so tried the same idea on the door.

Now it's on it could probably have done with a stronger one, the doors pretty heavy, but it stays open and does the full closing motion at the bottom, it just doesn't spring up so fast like they do on the caravan ones.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects