Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix loose door handle with no visible screws?

lisaroz
Finding My Feet

How to fix loose door handle with no visible screws?

The inside door handle on my bathroom door has come loose and there are no visible screws on the outside... any tips on how to fix this?

IMG_20240805_133115938.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix loose door handle with no visible screws?

Hi @lisaroz,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

One of the cover plates at the base of the door handle will be removable to reveal the through bolts that connect the two handles to each other. These through bolts have likely worked their way out of the thread in the opposite door handle causing it to come loose.

I have highlighted the cover plate below.

Looking at the image provided, I suspect that the removable cover plate is on the other side of the door.

If you could provide a photo of the handle on the other side of the door, I'd be able to offer further advice, but it is likely you will simply need to pull this cover plate off to reveal the through bolts.

Once the through bolts have been revealed, you will need to unscrew them so you can realign the handles before putting the through bolts back in place and tightening them.

You might like to have a look at How to change a door knob and How To Install a Door Handle for a couple of examples that should help.

Let me know how you go and if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Hey Jacob, thanks for your response! Below is the other side of the door handle...

IMG_20240805_141306554.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lisaroz,

I am near certain that one of these cover plates will come off. Try placing a small flathead screwdriver under the plates on both sides and levering it away from the face of the door. 

If this doesn't work, there may be a grub screw somewhere, possibly on the underside of the handle that will allow you to remove the handle which will then allow you to remove this cover plate.

Let me know how this goes. If you have no luck, let me know and I'll continue to assist.

Jacob

lisaroz
Finding My Feet

IMG_20240928_124610241.jpg

Hi Jacob,

So I removed the door handle on one side and unfortunately the screws have come out and I don't have them so I'm needing to find screws that will work... Have tried timber screws but they do not work. I think the screws are meant to be flat and not pointed at the end from what I can see on the other side? I've attached a photo of the screw holes... Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

IMG_20240928_124610241.jpg

Hi Jacob,

So I removed the door handle on one side and unfortunately the screws have come out and I don't have them so I'm needing to find screws that will work... Have tried timber screws but they do not work. I think the screws are meant to be flat and not pointed at the end from what I can see on the other side? I've attached a photo of the screw holes... Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lisaroz,

It would be difficult for me to give you an exact screw to use as I don't know what size thread your specific handle uses, but these Taskmaster M4x 50mm Zinc Snap Off Screws are very similar to those that come with door handles.

If you brought your door handle in-store with you, I am sure one of the Builders team members would be happy to assist with testing that the screws fit.

These screws have unthreaded sections so they can be cut for use in doors with different thicknesses. In my time installing doors, I used long-handled nips such as these Wiha 280mm Concreters Nippers to cut the screws, but these cheaper Trojan 200mm End Cut Pliers would work, you would just need to apply a considerable amount more force.

If you can't find a screw that will fit, you may need to order a spare part if you can identify the handles manufacturer, or replace the door handle altogether.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects