Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix gap between windows?

damien-22
Growing in Experience

How to fix gap between windows?

IMG_4434.jpeg

IMG_4433.jpeg

  

Help! Have just had windows installed and the window installer has not installed a piece of material between the two windows. 

previously there was like a sheet material between them to cover the gap. 

what sort of material/sheet can I fill this with?

Could this new material be inserted from the top? Now that the windows are already in place?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to fix gap between windows?

Hello @damien-22 

Thanks for sharing your question about the gap between your windows.

Was this part of the installation process not included in your agreement? I suggest asking the installer about the gap and inquiring if they are supposed to finish this part of the job. 

However, if it turns out that you need to do this part of the installation, I suggest putting in some noggins at the top, middle and bottom of the gap to prevent vermin from crawling inside the gap. Once the nogging are in place, I recommend using weatherboard or an outdoor cladding product to go between the windows.

Once the panel is in place you can glue and screw it securely onto the noggins and window frame. The last step will be to prime and paint the panel the same colour as the bricks.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
damien-22
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric thanks for the reply. 

Would this eave sheet be suitable?

or is this not weatherproof?

does thickness matter?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/james-hardie-hardieflex-2400-x-450-x-4-5mm-eaves-1-08m-_p0714491

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @damien-22 

The James Hardie HardieFlex™ 2400 x 450 x 4.5mm Eaves 1.08m² is specifically designed for eaves, I suggest using the James Hardie 2400 x 900 x 4.5mm 2.16m² HardieFlex™ Cladding instead. Thickness should not be an issue as it is not going up against an existing panel.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

damien-22
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric! 

could you recommend a primer?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @damien-22 

I propose having a look at the Taubmans 500ml White 3 In 1 Interior And Exterior Primer Undercoat Sealer. For the topcoat I suggest using Taubmans 1L White Low Sheen Sunproof Exterior Paint tinted to your preferred colour.

Eric

damien-22
Growing in Experience

IMG_4551.jpeg

Hi Eric, could the James Hardie 2400 x 900 x 4.5mm 2.16m² HardieFlex™ Cladding be used as a tile underlay on the internal timber window reveals?

or does villaboard 6mm have to be used on the window reveals to allow for tiling?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @damien-22 

It's best to go with James Hardie 2400 x 1200 x 6mm 2.88m² Villaboard Lining - 2400 x 1200 x 6 as this designed for use in bathrooms and laundries. The HardieFlex cladding is designed more for outdoor use.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects