Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix Hakuna essentials pet door?

newbeginner
Growing in Experience

How to fix Hakuna essentials pet door?

I've installed one of these. Problem is the flap is attached to the plastic extruded lugs with metal screws. As a result the thread in the extruded lugs has been stripped within three months of use 

My question is how to stop the screws from simply falling out when the dog enters our exits. Do I

Superglue the screws into the extruded screw holes or

Is there a paste that can be put into the lugs and then the screws have recreated a thread within the lugs 

Cheers

1000008151.jpg

1000008150.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix Hakuna essentials pet door?

Hi @newbeginner,

I've contacted Hakuna, and as the product is only three months old, they are more than happy to replace it for you. You could do this in-store with your receipt, but as I have a direct contact at Hakuna, they can send you out a replacement door. It will be a full kit. 

If you could email customerservice@permaproducts.com, including those images, your mailing address and proof of purchase if you have it, they'll be waiting for your email and will send a replacement as soon as possible.

We can presume there might have been something wrong with the way the lugs were moulded, but just ensure you only do the screws up on the new unit until they are snug and don't overtighten. That type of lug, in my experience, can suffer stress fractures from over-tightening and could lead to failure down the track.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thankyou. They have already sent a replacement essentials door, however, I feel it may end up in the same situation. So should I Superglue the current flap to the frame, or is there another material to craft a socket by lining the lug , for the screw?

Hi @newbeginner,

If you've already been provided a replacement, I think the best way to resolve the current issue would be to install it. There's no ongoing issue with Hakuna doors of them failing due to the screw lugs. As mentioned, there could have just been an issue with the ones on your door, or overtightening of the screws could have split the lugs.

You could certainly try supergluing the flap to the frame or screws into the lugs. However, installing your replacement door would be the most direct fix.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects