Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill nail holes and gaps between walls and skirting boards?

Don3
Getting Established

How to fill nail holes and gaps between walls and skirting boards?

Hey Guys,

I have recently moved into a newly built house. In which we got the floors (Hybrid) done separately20230712_212148.jpg and then needed to re-install the skirting boards after. The flooring guys helped me out and nailed them back into place but there is gaps in between the walls, skirting and a lot of nail holes. 

Im after some tips on what the best methodology would be for this as well as the best materials to use from Bunnings. Type of filler for the nail holes and no gap fillers etc. As the skirting has had one coat of paint (winter ice) before, do I need to sand all of it back before I re- coat? 

I got a quote from a local painter but the price was phenomenal for 50m of skirting and thought it best for a DIY. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill nail holes and gaps between walls and skirting boards?

Hello @Don3 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about filling the holes and gaps on your skirting board.

I suggest using UNi-PRO 500g Multi Purpose Interior Filler to fill in the nail holes on the skirting board. Once the filler has cured lightly sand the surface so that it is at the same level as your skirting board. To fill the gaps, I recommend using Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler.

It's good that you have name of the colour of your skirting board. If you still have the original paint can, I suggest getting exactly the same type of paint to use on your skirting board. Please remember to give the filler enough time to cure before you start painting.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you paint skirting boards?

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to Silicone a Gap (the techniques used are applicable to your gap)

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Hello @Don3 

I can remember replacing my skirting boards and putting new ones in. Pretty much what @EricL  is saying I did and man they shone! I couldnt believe the gap filler hiding that small gap between the skirting boards and plaster. I actually went back and did the older ones I had afterwards :smile: 

Id sand back any flaky bits and especially the nail holes once you have filled them but its one of the easiest jobs I can think of (That look so confronting)

If you havnt used a Caulking gun Id suggest to have a go on some spare bits just to get a feel. My foirst efforts I made sure were behind the door :smile:

As with painting Id use a cutting in brush and make sur eyou tape the floor so not to mess up your new floorboards.  

Cant wait to see your after shots :smile:

Dave

Don3
Getting Established

Thanks Eric,

Much appreciated and super useful. 

Don3
Getting Established

Thanks Dave,

Much appreciated. Ill make sure I send through after shots. :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects