Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to dampen noise on timber stairs?

karl07
Finding My Feet

How to dampen noise on timber stairs?

Hi, we just moved into our new built, and as with new built these days, only the first level has concrete flooring - the stairs and upper level is timber. We did not realise it at that time but the timber with vinyl floor (without carpets) leads to unwanted noise as we walk around.

Is there a way to put concrete on the stairs without ripping up the entire new stairs? How do we do that? 

Pics of the internal stairs including the underside of it, are attached.

Thank you.

Stairs 1.jpgStairs (underside).jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to dampen noise on timber stairs?

Hi @karl07,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and congratulations on your new home.

I assume we are talking about internal stairs. Can you please share some images of the stairs so the community can see what you are working with? They would be in a much better position then to suggest options.

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @karl07 

For under your stairs, I propose installing Pink Soundbreak 1160 x 430 x 90mm R2.7 Batts. Once installed, I propose covering the area with Gyprock CSR 3000 x 1200 x 13mm 3.60sqm Soundchek™ Plasterboard RE. This should reduce or at least muffle the sound when going up your stairs. In regards to your second floor, I can only suggest using large heavy rugs along with hallway rugs to reduce the sound of your steps.   

The only way to put in sound insulation in your flooring is to either remove the flooring or take apart the ceiling which would be a prohibitive option.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Morning @karl07 

All I can think of is to deaden the sound transfer with a heavier weighted tread to the step. Much like what @EricL is suggestion but with this product Durrapanel.

My first thought was to cut the same size as the underside of each step and then attach the pieces to each tread. Giving the step density and making it less likely to reverberate. You could use a whole panel underneath but think it would create a drum effect. 

Maybe the Durrapanel under each step and then @EricL's suggestion to insulate.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects