Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut a hole on the NBN box?

rickychan
Growing in Experience

How to cut a hole on the NBN box?

I want to cut an opening at the bottom of the NBN box so that I can run the cables neatly. Since it’s a metal box, I am not sure which is the right tools to use. 

I bought a set of Ryobi 18V One+ 8 pieces kit. Is there any tools in the kit can do the job? Or do I need something else? 

thanks in advanced. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cutting a hole on thr NBN box

Hello @rickychan 

Thank you for sharing your question about cutting a hole in your NBN box. I don't' recommend cutting holes in the NBN box especially if it has been already installed. If you still have the contact number of the NBN technician that installed the box, I propose giving them a call and asking them to cut the hole out for you. This means that the installation will still be under warranty and the modification was done by a qualified technician.

In regards to what tool you can use from your new Ryobi set, I recommend using the cordless drill. Depending on the material of the NBN box, you would probably need a hole saw that is rated to cut steel, wood and plastic. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
rickychan
Growing in Experience

Thanks, @EricL, it makes a lot of sense. I will reconsider the decision to cut a hole in the box. Thanks for your help. 

R4addZ
Getting Established

Hi @rickychan 

Hate to have to tell you this but it is illegal for you to modify the box (I'm a registered cabler)

I'll try to link the document but here is a small extract....

2.2.1.2 Criminal Code 1995 (Commonwealth) A person is guilty of an offence under Section 474.6 of the Criminal Code 1995 (Cth) if:

• the person tampers or interferes with a facility owned or operated by a carrier or a carriage service provider

Even as a registered cabler I am constrained by this....

nbn may bring a claim against a Registered Cablers who interferes with or damages nbn facilities or services resulting in nbn suffering a loss.

Full document here.....

https://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco2/documents/authority-to-alter-facilities-on-resdential-an...

rickychan
Growing in Experience

Thank you so much, @R4addZ . I don't know that it is illegal. 😱

I am trying to build a smart home system on my own. It would be great to set up a small equipment rank in my garage, next to the NBN box. What's your suggestion if I want to run some cable out from the box to connect those smart home devices? As you can see from the photos below, it's a mess now 😅

Much appreciated. 

IMG_1737 Large.jpeg

R4addZ
Getting Established

Hi @rickychan 

Ok so that box is a slightly different matter, Can you give us a shot of the inside of it? The box pictured may not be the property of NBN (in fact it is unlikely it is being built in as it is). Is the wall Plasterboard or brick?

I should qualify anything said from here on. As there is no obvious way of getting cables simply out of the box, this likely would require you to need the services of a Registered Cabler to stay within the letter of the law. That said, I'm happy to discuss how it could be done but need to know what's inside and the wall type to go into anymore depth.

A little background, That enclosure is along the style of a Hills Home Hub and they were a nightmare to deal with due to the depth, flush fit and no easy way to get cables out or mount equipment inside hence the need to see just what is inside.

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good morning @rickychan 

Firstly what else is in the box? I actually havnt seen one like that for NBN installs before.

If you look in the bottom of the box you may find some punch out holes with metal blanks over them.

Depending on the plugs that are on your IOT devices you could run them down through the punch out and then exit through the wall using this 

DETA White Brush Wall Cover Plate - Single Pack 

I have used it for running cables up the wall for my tv and sound system. and it is a tiidy solution.

However to get around any issues with modifications to the box or wall installs I would go down the rout of a seperate router and connect it wirelessly somewhere out of sight and near a power point.

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thank you for the photo @rickychan !

I had no idea what an NBN box was.

I though it was a desk router thingy. 😔

rickychan
Growing in Experience

Hi @R4addZ @Dave-1 ,

I am sorry I did not use the right terms to describe this "box" thing. Yes. This is the enclosure or the NBN connection in my home. I placed some network equipment inside it already. However, I still want to connect some smart home servers on the shelf under it, I need to run some cables (network cable and power cord) from the enclosure to the shelf. 

Just wondering if there is any legal way to do that. Is this enclosure the property of NBNco? Thanks in advance. 🙏

IMG_1746 Medium.jpeg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @rickychan 

Thanks for the photo, does the label on the back of the door say anything as to ownership?

The Grey box in the middle of the bigger box is NBN as far as I know, tho the steup is a tidy one with patch ports ect. I would be reluctant to change things within the box to be on the safe side and not cause more issues.

So back to the other option of punchouts on the bottom of the box into the wall cavity and then using that brush wall slot to bring out the network cable ect further down near the floor.

If there are no punchouts in the bottom of the box then Option C, Remove the door, using a largish hole saw drill out part of the mesh (50mm -70mm) and then line with a rubber edge, something like Goliath 5m Black Edge Trim . Replace the door. This way you can run your cables out through the hole tidily and not worry so much about permissions. I would use some spiral wrap D-Line 2.5m Ø10-40mm White Wrap Cable Tidy Organiser to bring it together and make a nice form to your equiment.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects