Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean water-based paint spill off concrete?

PatDIY_Dad
Having an Impact

How to clean water-based paint spill off concrete?

My kids were helping me paint my firewood storage box with a water based exterior paint

My beautiful 2 year old daughter thought the house bricks and concrete floor needed a touch up 🤣🤣 so she put some paint on those

I got the bricks paint out quickly but the one on the concrete I made look worse when cleaning 

First tried just water but nothing.

Then got a wire brush and acetone and scrubbed

It seemed to loosen it but just snudged it.around

Any other ideas ?

1000007599.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: cleaning water based paint spill off concrete

Hi @PatDIY_Dad,

Since acetone and the wire brush helped but spread the paint, I’d recommend using soapy water with a stiff-bristle brush next. Mix warm water with dish soap, scrub the area, and rinse with clean water. If that doesn’t fully lift the paint, a paint stripper designed for water-based paints could help break down any remaining residue. Apply it, let it sit for a few minutes, and then scrub it off with a brush.

For any stubborn patches, a high pressure washer could work wonders. Just be careful not to damage the concrete surface with high pressure. 

Please let me know how you go and if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks will try your suggestions

Whats the difference with turps vs that paint stripper?

Turps is used to break down and clean up non-dried paint @PatDIY_Dad. Whereas, paint stripper has the ability to break down dried paint.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects