Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean up after glazing putty?

mikepilling2
Growing in Experience

How to clean up after glazing putty?

I have just finished reglazing a front door , replacing the old amber coloured glass for a clear glas -looks much better btw! 

I have used Selleys linseed putty and I am happy with the results so far

No surprise to anyone who has done this before, the glass is now smeared with with linseed oil. What is the best time and method for cleaning the glass given the putty is not skinned for a couple of days. 

YouTube guru tells me to use ‘ Whiting’ but cannot find it in the Bunnings website. 

Best ideas will be really appreciated and please let me know how time sensitive it is, as it will be 24 hours before I get back to a Bunnings for any products.

thanks  all 🙏

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cleaning up after glazing putty

Hello @mikepilling2 

Thanks for sharing your question about glazing putty. I suggest wiping the surface of the glass with a paper towel and allowing the surface oil to evaporate first. In this manner, you won't have to damage or contaminate all that hard work you've done to reglaze your window. 

I propose giving it a least a week or longer depending on the weather in your area. If there is not enough sunshine, I suggest adding a few more days to allow the putty to dry up. Once the putty is firm and dry, I suggest using ordinary soap and water along with a mild scrubber to clean the surface of the glass. 

For stubborn spots, I suggest using DIGGERS 1L White Spirits and a clean rag.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mikepilling2
Growing in Experience

Re: Cleaning up after glazing putty

Thanks for the feedback Eric, I will leave it as you suggested. 

I tried baby powder in lieu of the ‘whiting’, worked to an extent but did not clear it fully. I think a spirit as you suggested is the way to go once  the putty has skinned!

thanks

mike

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects