Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose a spirit level

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

How to choose a spirit level

Some time back I needed to buy a sprit Level to replace my old well worn one. There is already a great article on "How to Choose and Use a Level" by @Adam_W that covers all the different types of levels available and what they are typically used for. However, I thought I would share some of my knowledge specific to “Sprit Levels” that I look for when buying a new one.  So apologies up front of there is a little bit of double-up in information.

Why Do You Need a Sprit Level?

Spirit levels are not the usual go-to tool a new DIY’er would consider in their start-up toolbox. But having one will make simple common tasks like hanging pictures, installing a new shelf or these days mounting a soundbar to the wall under your TV a lot easier and more accurate.

When an object is perfectly horizontal it's known as being “level”. Most models will also check if the object was perfectly vertical like when installing a post. This is known as being “plumb”. Less commonly some can also check if an object is on a 45deg angle.

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 12.05.08 PM.png

What Else Can a Spirit Level Be Used For?

Their accurate straight edge makes them perfect for marking out straight lines, checking the height of new kit cabinetry to levelling soil before laying turf. I often use mine as a straight cutting guide when making long saw cuts through larger timber sheets or when trimming a new door to length.

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 10.49.43 AM.png ground level.png 

IMG_9065 (1).jpegclamp straight.jpeg  

Are Sprit Levels Hard to Use?

Not at all, in fact they are a very easy tool to use. They have one or more transparent vials containing a single bubble within some form of coloured alcohol which, is where “spirit” comes into their name. When the bubble is centred between two-line markings, the object will be level, plumb or at 45deg.

Vial guides.png

To check the level of an object simply rest or hold the level on the top while adjusting its angle to get the level bubble centred between the two lines. To check if an object is plumb (vertical), then rest the level against the side of the object with one hand as you adjust them together with the other until the bubble is centred. 

IMG_9061 (1).jpeg

Do The Different Colour Vials Mean Anything?

The liquid within the vials come in various shades of yellow, green and less commonly blue. Being able to see the bubble in varying light conditions and angles is obviously pretty important. So, when choosing a level, hold them about in various angles and heights to see which bubble you can see easiest. 

Vial colour.jpeg     Level Light.jpeg

For me, I find that mid-strength greens provide the best combination of low (indoor) and bright (outdoor) light conditions. If most of your applications will be indoors, then there are models that feature a backlight to make viewing the bubble much easier. Also take not how quickly the bubble moves. Slower moving ones make using the level easier when making minor measurements.

A question I’ve been asked is can a level be used flat (front or back face). The short answer is you can, but the manufacturers don’t guarantee accuracy which is only on the two side edges. 

What Length Do You Need?

The longer the level the more accurate the measurement will be over longer lengths. In other words, if you needed to check a 2,000mm object a 1200mm level will give a more accurate measurement than a 400mm one. This why many DIYr's and professionals have more than one length level.

Level Sizes.png

Choosing a Plastic or Aluminium Level

Plastic levels are the cheaper option but can be more easily damaged and bent or even broken. The vials tend to be not as strongly secured so accuracy over time will be questionable. I've even owned a plastic one where the vial popped out after knocking it over.

Aluminium levels have a rectangular box profile making them much stronger especially ones with raised ribs along their length.This is an important feature when looking at longer length ones as they will hold their shape and provide a higher level of accuracy.

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 11.47.32 AM.png

You can check the accuracy of a level pretty quickly and you don’t need a level surface.Simply lay the level down and check the position of the bubble. Then turn it 180deg and check it again. If the bubble is in the exact same position, then you're good to go.

Check Level.png

Removable End Caps

Most people don't consider choosing a level with rubberised end caps. Rubber/soft ends can help absorb knocks when levels are dropped. It’s a common application to use your level to mark a level horizontal line right to its end. But most levels have tapered end caps making this impossible. So choosing a level that has removable end caps is worth consideration.

end cap 1.pngend cap 2.png

Which Level Should You Start With?

If you’re just starting out in DIY, then I highly recommend a Torpedo level. These compact models are ideal for most applications within the home like hanging pictures and installing shelves etc. It fits in a drawer or be ready at hand in your tool bag.

Torpedo.jpeg

Then as you expand your DIY projects further, a 1200mm long level would be my next recommendation as it’s an ideal length for most internal and outdoor projects. And personally, I would choose one with a plumb vial at each end in lieu of any 45deg vial as these are rarely used.

I hope this helps. Nailbag

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to choose a spirit level

Hi @Nailbag 

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience regarding spirit levels. It is one of the most useful tools in your D.I.Y arsenal and will always help you get a level finish!

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects