Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change the colour of stained timber stairs?

lemma123
Finding My Feet

How to change the colour of stained timber stairs?

IMG_1927.jpeg

IMG_1928.jpeg

IMG_1926.jpeg

  

I stained these stairs a while ago and they look ok from the bottom of the stairs as they go with the wood look of our furniture.

But it always bothers me at the top because of how different the colours of wood are. Would it be worth sanding them and using a lighter stain? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: staining wood stairs advice

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lemma123. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about timber colour.

If the contrast between the stairs and your second-floor flooring bothers you, sanding and applying a lighter stain could help create a more cohesive look. However, this might make the stairs on the first floor less compatible with your existing furniture.

To decide, test a small, inconspicuous area with a lighter stain to see how it looks and whether it fits with your overall décor. Consider how lighting affects the stain's appearance and whether you’re okay with potential increased maintenance for a lighter finish.

If you proceed, sand the stairs to remove the old stain, clean the surface, apply the new stain evenly, and seal it once dry. 

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you your reply.

Do you know which colour stain would be closer to match the wood at the top of the stairs?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That really depends on what the natural colour of the stairs are @lemma123. However, I suspect that once you've sanded the timber back and it's a lighter colour, you might not require a stain at all, and Cabot's 1L Cabothane Clear Satin CFP Floor Polyurethane would be a close match.

Mitchell

This is the natural colour of the stairs. Wondering how I can get it similar/same as the stairs landing 

IMG_3350.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lemma123,

There's no way to stain such similarly coloured timbers to be closer to each other. I'd suggest trying Cabot's 1L Cabothane Clear Satin CFP Floor Polyurethane  on a test section to see how close it comes.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects