Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change downlights you can't access from above?

Rich76
Just Starting Out

How to change downlights you can't access from above?

What do you do when you can't access your downlight from above?

I have few below a bathroom where I can't unplug them effortlessly.

It's a 90mm hole so I could stick my hand through and just try to feel about. Pull the existing plug out of the socket and hope I can plug the new plug in... but I was hoping someone might have a specific technique or idea for a tool that may help!

Thanks so much!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Zero access downlights change. Any ideas?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Rich76. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a downlight.

There really isn’t an easy solution when you don’t have access from above. One idea could be to stick your phone up into the ceiling and record a video or take some photos to get a sense of where the plug is located and its orientation. This might help guide you before you start feeling around. Another option could be to use an inspection mirror or even a small inspection camera if you have one handy. The mirror would give you some visual aid while you’re trying to unplug and replug the downlight. If those don’t work, it might just come down to carefully feeling your way through the 90mm hole and trying to unplug the old light while being mindful of the orientation for when you plug the new one back in. It can be a bit tricky, but with some patience, you should be able to get it sorted.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects