Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a bench seat for a dining table?

jaiprak
Making a Splash

How to build a bench seat for a dining table?

Hi There -

I am building a bench seat for my dining table and bought these legs - https://www.bunnings.com.au/rapidhome-30-x-45-x-6cm-black-la-paz-steel-tube-bench-seat-furniture-leg...

I need some help on what panel to choose. It would have to sit 3 adults (max case) - So about 250 - 300 Kg. Do i need to consider some sort of reinforcement for the panel. I also will stain it to match my dining table colour. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a bench seat for a dining table?

Hi @jaiprak,

You'd want to be looking at the 33mm panels as they are significantly stronger and will cope better with that weight than the 18mm panels. If the bench is longer than 1500mm, add bracing timbers underneath the seat or consider a midleg for extra support, preventing sagging.

It's best to use hardwood as it can span longer distances than pine, but the type will likely be determined by what's most similar in colour to your dining table. 

Ensure the legs are securely attached using appropriate screws and brackets.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc - Thanks for your response. Now the bench seat if half the price of the table 😀. If I reinforce with framing timber along the length or provide 3rd leg it is good enough? Which one of the two would you recommend?

I might need pine since they can be stained to chocolate brown my table is. 26mm with pine supports or 3rd leg not good enough?

I am fixing them with 10g screws since I can’t find 12g screws that fit the size.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

How long is the bench seat going to be, @jaiprak? The 26mm pine would work, provided you installed a third leg or added framing timber underneath.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc - missed that critical detail in the first post. The table is 2.1M. So I am planning the bench seat to be 1.8m long and 30-35 cm wide. The legs are 30cm wide.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd go with the mid-leg, @jaiprak. It will ensure that there is no sagging over the 1800mm length.

Mitchell

Morning @jaiprak 

I think you still may get some flexing even with a third leg. Id go with @MitchellMc's first suggestion tho. :smile: 

To test if you think it will flex or not, head on into Bunnings and check out the timber, There are plenty of 2.1m lengths. Grab one and a couple of offcut timbers and place them where you are thinking to have them on your seat. Gently step into the middle between the support and see if it flexes. Yes I have done the same when testing things :smile:

I would say min 40mm depth for the timber seat.

Dave

@Dave-1 / @MitchellMc - let me try the test that Dave recommended. I am thinking of reinforcing with 70mm framing pine along the length.

also @Dave-1  hope you meant 40cm width not 40mm thick panel. I haven’t seen 40 mm panel in Bunnings

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @jaiprak 

I was thinking this width/height 90 x 45mm Outdoor Framing H3 Treated Pine - 2.4m You can go wider as in 180mm but the height of 45mm is what will hlp stop the flex. (I was taking a guess at the minimumn thickness, 45mm is what I should have said.

Dave

@Dave-1 - Good afternoon. Since the width doesn’t matter (based on my limited knowlefge) I will do 70x45 internal framing (to save couple of dollars). The 45 side is what would be attached to the bottom of the seat. Is that right? (my knowledge is that side only has the framing strength)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects