Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach foilboard under house?

cresswick
Community Newcomer

How to attach foilboard under house?

1000037752.jpg

1000037750.jpg

cresswick
Community Newcomer

how to attach foilboard under house

Will foilboard help with that hollow sound you get when walking inside a mobile home.

1000037750.jpg

cresswick
Community Newcomer

foilboard

Can foilboard 25mm cathedral be used for floor insulation 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to attach foilboard under house

Hello @cresswick 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about installing Foilboard under your house.

A great deal of the Foilboard will need to be custom cut to fit in between the steel frame. You would probably then need to use the Foilboard standard fastener to keep it in place. Generally, the Flexifast fasteners would be used but since there is no space and the frame is made of steel it can't be used. Will it reduce the ambient noise when walking on the floor, probably to a small extent, but it will not change the sound profile of the floor.

If you are after insulation and sound reduction, I propose installing a timber frame underneath the mobile home and using traditional batts to insulate and reduce the noise of the floor. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

For our New Zealand members, please note that the use of foil insulation products is prohibited.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: foilboard

Hi @cresswick 

I have used poly insulation panels to improve a very cold tile floor that was exposed to high winds underneath. I couldn't say for sure, but it would ha e to provide some form of sound deadening. But at the very least make a significant difference to the homes insulation. You will gain more sound deadening from your internal floor coverings. Carpets over underlay, rugs etc would have a definite impact in addressing the issue.

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects