Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to adjust Ryobi door closer?

Matthew3
Finding My Feet

How to adjust Ryobi door closer?

Hi. With Ryobi door closers,  when adjusting the closing or latching valves counter clockwise to speed up the closing motion, if the valve is turned too far will the hydraulic fluid leak out?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ryobi door closer adjustment

I think that's close enough to say that it wouldn't be causing the door to be hard to open @GeoffC. The Ryobi technical assistant indicated that the commercial-grade door openers require a reasonable amount of strength to open and that you'd be much better off with the light-duty version.

Thanks for those details via PM; I'll be in touch again shortly.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

I have a Ryobi 2550 series door closer and of recent times the elbow joint of the main and forearm has begun catching on the top of the door as it passes under the closer. How can I adjust the arms to travel higher above the door.

TerryC

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @TerryC 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thanks for joining the discussion. 

In order for our members to get a better idea of the malfunction, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the door closer and where it is catching. 

There are a few points of adjustment on the arm and where the arm is mounted itself. I suggest doing a preliminary investigation and see if any of the arm mounts have come loose. The only other thing that would cause the door return from going out of alignment is the door itself. I suggest inspecting the door hinges if they've come loose.  

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

G'day Eric,

As suggested I have checked the mounting points for the closer and the door hinges and all is okay.

When the door is shut and the opener is at rest the arms can be moved vertically 15mm, but when the door is hard open there is no vetical movement at all.

In the photo that shows the elbow positioned above the door you can just see the black line left by the elbow rubbing across the door.

The arm doesn't hit the door all the time - it seems to come in patches. At the moment there is clearance and the arm is not rubbing on the door.

IMG_1261.JPGIMG_1262.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TerryC 

Thanks for the photos and additional information about your door closer. This occasional looseness tells me that there is a part of the door return that has slightly come undone. I propose doing a thorough check, grab a ladder and look at the top of the elbow and see if this a pressed fitting or an Allen key screw. If it is, try to tighten this part first.

Next, check the main pivot point near the main body of the mechanism. The holding screw might have some loose and is allowing the arm to lift causing the elbow to dip. Again, try to re-tighten this part.

If the parts I mentioned are secure, the last adjustment you can make is on the threaded arm itself. Remove the two mounting screws on the little foot mounted on the door frame and Loosen the locking nut. Turn the threaded arm once counter clockwise, once you've turned the threaded arm, screw the little foot back onto the door frame and re-tighten the locking nut.

Test the door to make sure that it still works properly.

Please take all necessary care when using a step ladder and working at height. Inform all your household members that you'll be working on the door to prevent mishaps.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hello! I signed up to ask about adjusting this door closer as it is WAY too hard to open. But I see you have answered that question for Geoff C. When I asked for advice I was told my front door (wood frame with glass) would be 60-80kg- but it seems this is probably not the case. Wondering if there’s any chance of a refund like Geoff (or a swap for a lighter one). Also- if you can advise a door closer that might do the job- our frames aren’t flush with the door which is  making installation annoying. 

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @meg4. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about door closers.

If the product is not fit for purpose and you're struggling to open the door, then I would recommend you return it to the store of purchase. I'm sure they'll be happy to return it for you in exchange for a more suitable product. As recommended above, the Ryobi Black Light Duty Domestic Door Closer would be a better option than the commercial version.

I don't believe the frame not being flush will inhibit you from installing the closer. If you are struggling to do so, you might need to use a timber block spacer on the door to bring it flush with the frame.

Please let me know if you have any difficulties returning your product or have questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects