Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add latch to double cavity doors with limited setback?

TaraL
Finding My Feet

How to add latch to double cavity doors with limited setback?

Hi all, 

I'm trying to figure out which latch to install on our double cavity doors for our laundry to keep our curious dog out of there. The doors can't accommodate a 60mm setback and they're just 31mm thick, so I don't trust installing something needing a 25mm hole for the latch, which was the solution in a similar thread. Any ideas?  

1000016248.jpg

1000016247.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Latch for double cavity doors with limited setback

Hi @TaraL,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

I've contacted the technical teams for our door hardware suppliers who've unfortunately been unable to find a latch suitable for anything below 32mm thick.

You might have to use something like a cabin hook or a barrel bolt to secure the doors. They will not look as clean as a recessed latch, but they will function the same.

Allow me to tag some of our members to see if they have any ideas, @Noyade, @robchin, @JoeAzza, @Dave-1.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to add latch to double cavity doors with limited setback?

Morning @TaraL 

I was thinking of something like this Lane Satin Chrome Sliding Cavity Door Lock Its only 33mm deep so may need a washer or spacer to make it fit nicer? 

(not sure if @JacobZ  has mentioned these under the other names :smile: )

Dave

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dave-1,

I've contacted Lane who've sent me the installation instructions for that particular latch. See below.

Lane Lock Instructions.png

It says they suit sliding cavity doors 33-40mm thick. You could potentially pack the lock out, but there are no guarantees and if it doesn't work, you'd be left with a rather large hole in the door.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @JacobZ 

Yeah that would be a pain, back to thinking of a solution then.

Dave

Thank you for the ideas! Give the reviews of that particular latch, I would also be hesitant to cut the doors to fit it in case it didn't actually work as intended

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Hi @TaraL 

How'd you go with this? If this was my house my wife wouldn't let me install anything that didn't fit exactly the existing holes that were created by the handles you have there already as it would never look right. I have confidence with the Lane product that @JacobZ  has suggested will work so happy for you to use it but I think it will look a bit odd. 

I also agree that I would be thinking a bit differently. Unless it's a very big dog I would be looking at something a bit different like this Door Stop: Adoored Standard Step Down Door Stop - Bunnings Australia

Good luck. 

T0998_insitu.jpeg

I haven't done anything about it. The intended solution was to add a latch instead of removing the existing ones due to the large holes underneath the handles. However, due to there not being any latches on the market that seem to fit that well, I think the solution will be child safety latches for a minimal impact solution: https://www.bunnings.com.au/perma-child-safety-premium-cabinet-latches-2-pack_p4211072 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TaraL,

That looks like a great, low impact solution.

Let us know how it goes.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects