Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do i fix a broken hole for door latch?

Delna
Finding My Feet

How do i fix a broken hole for door latch?

The lock on my door handle does not work properly & I have got locked a couple of times. I can lock it but cannot open the lock. When I removed the handle & the latch I noticed that a part of the wood was broken which holds the screws for the latch. How do I repair this myself? I am not an expert on repairs or wood work but can only do very basic stuff. IMG_2070.jpegIMG_2071.jpegIMG_2073.jpegIMG_2072.jpeg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do i fix a broken hole for latch

Morning @Delna 

I would try Builders Bog and then re-screw - but that doesn't solve your locking problem.

Would it be worth investing in a new door handle? In the photos above one handle seems to be at an excessively low attitude.

Thanku so much for your reply & help. This is on my sons door & he is studying for Law exams so needs it closed properly to avoid noise of the house. Yes I don’t mind buying another handle - so in your opinion you think the handle is also spoilt ? Also how would I apply the builders bog ? Thanx

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Delna 

The locking issues may not be resolvable?

It looks old?

Personally - I would go for a new handle.

Regards the bog - a mini spatula or a large flat screwdriver - don't apply too much.

Cheers. Please keep us informed. 👍

20240601_095422.jpg

Find a small piece (splinters) of wood and push/tap into the stripped screw hole, glue can also be used so firm, this will fill the hole and allow screws to be reinstated. 
the handles should have adjustment screws on the inside, try that prior to re purchasing. Also make sure the lock cylinder and handle spindles aren’t catching on the door at all, as this will also jam the movement sometimes

Thanku much appreciated I will try that 😊🙏

Thanku

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Delna,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

It is fantastic to see you've already received some advice from @Noyade and @Cobber.

I agree with Noyade that the handle looks to be sagging quite considerably, this can mean that the springs have lost tension over time. It is usually not worth the time and expense to repair door handles where the internal mechanisms have worn down over time. I would suggest you replace the handle with a new privacy lever set to match the existing ones in your home.

The main things you need to take into account when selecting a replacement lever set are the size of the rebate for the latch and the backset of the door handles. The backset is the distance from the edge of the door to the centre of the door handle.  The majority of residential door handles use very similar methods of installation where the holes are compatible, so if these two characteristics match up, it should be a simple swap over.

To fix the issue with the screw, I would suggest using Builders Bog as it sets hard and can be screwed into. 

You might like to check out How To Install a Door Handle for some guidance on this process.

Let me know if there's anything I can clarify further or if you have any other questions.

Jacob

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Cobber. It's amazing to see you join and then jump straight into assisting our members. I trust they'll appreciate any advice you can share.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Sing out anytime you need assistance or have something you'd like to share with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects