Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do a remove rawl bolts from a block masonry wall?

tally
Getting Established

How do a remove rawl bolts from a block masonry wall?

hi all, any good suggestions as to how to remove rawl bolts from a block/ masonry  wall?  They are tight!

was wondering if there was some kind of puller (like a bearing puller) or a trick?

IIMG_6221.JPG

guess other options are drilling smaller holes around it to loosen it

grinding the top off

any others?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do a remove rawl bolts from a block/ masonry wall

Hello @tally 

Thanks for sharing your question about removing your raw bolts. Are they by any chance old style Dynabolts? If they are, I suggest tapping the bolt back into the hole while trying to keep the sleeve unmoving. If the bolt loosens up and the sleeve starts to turn around, I suggest using some locking pliers and see if you can grab onto the metal sleeve of the bolt. The objective is to loosen, free and tear out the metal sleeve of the bolt. This will then allow you to remove the bolt from the hole.  

If it proves to be too difficult then your suggestion of grinding it off will be the easiest option.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @TedBear and @Nailbag for their suggestions.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How do a remove rawl bolts from a block masonry wall?

Evening @tally 

Yeah @EricL has called it :smile: That looks like a dynabolt without the nut. Rawl is the green hard plasticy/fiberous thing that looks like a dog chew toothbrush.

I have removed a fair few over the years (some because I drilled in the wrong place and wasnt thinking) most because they needed to go. Erics steps are exactly what I have done. Patience, when you get frustrated its still there, step away dont force it. Come back and wiggle it some more. Taping the bolt with a hammer works and cross fingers there is some space in the hole for it to go down into. (makes it easier to wiggle the sleeve out) I have generally used long nosed thin pliers and side cutters to get them out.

When taping with a hammer, clamp your multigrips around that sleeve you can see. Even if you clamp really hard the idea is for the bolt to go back into the hole. The locking pliers Eric mentions would be handy. Pretty much follow Erics words :smile: right down to grinding it oiff it its too stubborn.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @tally  I would follow at @EricL advice and in particular what @Dave-1 suggest which is exactly how I have done it countless times. But it relies on the hole being drilled deeper than the Dynabolt, so that when you hit the bolt with a hammer it goes far enough in to the void so you can grip it with another pair of vice grips to wiggle it out.

In my experience though, the fact the bolt protrudes so far out, its not likes to have a deep enough void. If you own or have access to a reciprocating saw, I would use a long metal cutting blade as you will be able to get a pretty flush cut. Otherwise and angle grinder with a metal cutting disc. Due to the angle, don't use a 1mm one as the disc will bend and most likely shatter. get a standard 2.5mm (I think). With the sub thats left might be able to be bashed in with a mallet/hammer.

Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 10.20.01 PM.png

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @tally , my input is similar to the others...   If you have two nuts that fit the bolt, clean the thread and put them on the end. Tighten them together so that you have a larger surface to hit firmly with a hammer. Drive the bolt back in and the sleeve should collapse. Then pull out the sleeve carefully with long-nose pliers. You may need to do this in stages, knocking the bolt back in to allow the sleeve's inner end to fully collapse and be able to come out. Adding the nuts to the bolt end will make it easier to handle so that when it's loose you can grab the sleeve with pliers & pull the whole assembly out together. (That's the hope anyway.)

tally
Getting Established

thanks for all the help and suggestions from everyone.  I got a few of them out, some I had to cut off with a grinder.  appreciate all the input though

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @tally 

"Cheering" :laugh:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects