Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I be sure a new cylinder lock assembly is compatible with hole in door?

LorenClayton
Finding My Feet

How can I be sure a new cylinder lock assembly is compatible with hole in door?

Hello

Moving into a new house in 2 week's time. Two locksmiths already have told me they won't quote for rekeying one of my locks: one said he won't rekey the front door Ikonic and the other said won't rekey the back door Lemaar lock on the Lane. Their reason was bad quality of lock

back doorback doorback doorback doorfront door backfront door backfront door side onfront door side onback door side onback door side onfront doorfront door.

I'd rather buy 2 new cylinder locks but how can I be sure new locks will fit? Should the existing locks be measured first? If I get the wrong size I'll have to call out the locksmith again. Would the Lane Satin Stainless double cylinder deadbolt for $44.35 be compatible with the existing hole in the door? Or would you have a different recommendation?

I've attached photos. Thanks.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I be sure a new cylinder lock assembly is compatible with hole in door?

Hi @LorenClayton,

Check out our Door Lock Installation Service. This can be arranged through your local store's Special Orders desk.

Having a look at your current hardware, I am fairly confident that the Ikonic Bright Chrome Ruby Entrance Set will be compatible with your current setup. Nothing about your current entrance sets looks outside of a standard door handle. 

The hardware provided with door locks allows for slight changes to accommodate thicker doors and deeper setbacks (the distance from the handle to the face of the door), so they are fairly universal unless you have an incredibly thick door, which you don't. 

The only thing that may make them incompatible, which is unlikely because the Ikonic Bright Chrome Ruby Entrance Set uses a 54mm hole through the door to accommodate the lock, is the holes through the door. If anything, the holes in your door currently will be smaller, so there should be no problem cutting a larger hole if required. A qualified locksmith will be able to make any adjustments they need, but it is unlikely they'll have to do much.  

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects