Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I be sure a new cylinder lock assembly is compatible with hole in door?

LorenClayton
Finding My Feet

How can I be sure a new cylinder lock assembly is compatible with hole in door?

Hello

Moving into a new house in 2 week's time. Two locksmiths already have told me they won't quote for rekeying one of my locks: one said he won't rekey the front door Ikonic and the other said won't rekey the back door Lemaar lock on the Lane. Their reason was bad quality of lock

back doorback doorback doorback doorfront door backfront door backfront door side onfront door side onback door side onback door side onfront doorfront door.

I'd rather buy 2 new cylinder locks but how can I be sure new locks will fit? Should the existing locks be measured first? If I get the wrong size I'll have to call out the locksmith again. Would the Lane Satin Stainless double cylinder deadbolt for $44.35 be compatible with the existing hole in the door? Or would you have a different recommendation?

I've attached photos. Thanks.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How can I be sure a new cylinder lock assembly is compatible with hole in door?

Hi @LorenClayton

Please note that a couple of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts are taking a well-earned break at the moment, so there might be a bit of a delay before one can get back to you. Sorry about that.

Let me see if some other helpful members might be able to share their thoughts: @Dave-1@TedBear@Remarka6le.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How can I be sure a new cylinder lock assembly is compatible with hole in door?

Hi @LorenClayton ,

I am assuming from your query that you are wanting the same type of security with the least amount of fiddling with the door...   The lockset that you are considering is a deadbolt and a latch combination. Fitting these  would require drilling another set of holes above or below the existing lock. You need to fit both parts into the same door.  The deadbolt part requires a key to operate it always... they don't slide in and out as the door closes, like a latch does.

The reason the locksmiths won't change the barrels in your existing locks is because they don't want to rip you off... you can buy the whole thing with new keys for $18 from Bunnings. (They would have to charge you much more just to rekey them.)

Or you can buy a matching set for front & rear doors,  of similar quality but using the same key (less clutter on your keyring) for a few dollars more. They will fit. There is a bit of length adjustment allowed for in the bolt mechanism, but they tend to be the same length.

Details here:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ikonic-bright-chrome-ruby-entrance-set-2-pack_p0199979

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Morning @LorenClayton 

The locks you have on your front and rear doors dont have deadbolts as @TedBear has mentioned. When I was renting the flat came like this and since found that it is a No No to not have dead bolts. We were broken into very easily with this type of lock only. 

I have used locksmiths that if I took the barrel in they would rekey the lock (could be your simplest answer) I am unsure if the two differant models of locks can be keyed alike. 

I strongley suggest installing some deadbolts, it will cost more but your hous ewill be a lot more secure. At which point I would suggest to get keyed alike normal door locks as well. (Talk to the locksmiths buisness and see if the deadbolt and the door lock/latch can be keyed the same)

Dave

Thanks Dave and Ted Bear. I'll look further into deadbolts.

I would add a warning... not to get a system that has dead bolts only. They can be dangerous and the name "dead" bolt can apply to the occupier if you dead-bolt yourself inside. (I have lost a relative to them... his house caught fire at night, had dead-bolted the doors and couldn't find the keys in the smoke and dark!  Funeral.) The safest system has a dead-bolt with night latch option, so you can lock people out when you are home and still get out easily if need be. Dead-bolts are only to make it hard for thieves to get your possessions out. A nightlatch optioned dead-lock will still jam the bolt closed but doesn't need the key to open from the inside, only from the outside. If you do get just deadbolts then at least leave the key in the inside lock while the house is occupied.

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @TedBear

100% agree with you.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @LorenClayton 

There are two types of cylinder lock assemblies. An example of the first type is the Gainsborough G4 Series Terrace Entrance Knob Lockset Stainless Steel. It has a single axle in the middle and a screw receiver on either side of it. It has a low profile, and you therefore don't need to drill a very big hole in your door. Some installers only cut out a space for the axle and screw receivers. 

An example of the second type is the Gainsborough Stainless Steel G3 Series Governor Entrance Knob Locksets. This doorknob has a large cylindrical shield in the middle to protect its interior parts. It is a lot more robust than the other set and will require a large hole to be drilled in order to accommodate the doorknobs profile.   

The only way to find out which one you have is to remove the existing doorknob. If you have a small cut out in the middle and two smaller ones to the left right of the centre hole it is definitely type one. But if it has a large cylinder in the middle then its type two. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Really important to know, thanks.

LorenClayton
Finding My Feet

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Would it be possible to get a quote from Bunnings for them to do the installation? Nearest to me is Rothwell. 

I'll get security doors for both front & back anyway (from a different supplier), so won't choose a deadlock. If the Ikonic ruby entrance set is compatible with the front door then I'd like that one (Thanks Ted Bear).

Would my existing front door lock have to be removed first to make sure the new lock is compatible with the hole in the door, as per Eric's post?

If so, then I'd need the locksmith to come out to check first?

If the Ikonic ruby set is compatible with both doors then that's a bonus, otherwise a different back door lock isn't a problem.

How should I organise for a Bunnings locksmith to go from here? I appreciate all the advice so far.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects