Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hardwood barn doors

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Hardwood barn doors

BCDEF8DA-D7B7-4EF2-ABE3-46951D8A485F.jpeg

D3866491-9599-4973-A8E2-D5240B4685FA.jpeg

This would have to be one of my favourite builds. I have always wanted to Build a barn door and now I have made one, I can’t wait to be building more.

Hanging the tracks is not a complex as it looks once you learn the heights and measurements.  The timber I used is called Silver Top

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Re: Hardwood barn doors

hi there @Deborah_A 

timber I was using is $13 per meter,

A  door that is 1500 wide comes to around $650 for the timber 

adding a rail, handles, oil, materials may come to around $400

Gregross
Just Starting Out

I am looking to buy a door just like this for my home in Bunbury,who can I contact to make one for me,I might go for pine and stain it. Cheers Greg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Gregross, we're pleased to have you join us and look forward to seeing your barn door project come to life in your home.

Let me tag @EricL who will be happy to assist you. 

Have you seen this helpful resource from Bunnings? Barn-style sliding doors: how and why to get the look. It contains links to doors that might be suitable for you. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
cclark347
Finding My Feet

IMG_2237.png

What stain did you use to get this colour please 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @cclark347,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Allow me to tag @LePallet so they are notified of your question.

Hopefully, they will respond shortly.

Jacob

Hi @cclark347,

To my eye, it doesn't appear that a stain was used as this is a natural colour of some hardwoods. I see @LePallet mentioned they used an oil, so I would suggest this finish was achieved with a clear interior oil. Something like this Feast Watson 1L Scandinavian Oil should be suitable.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thank you. 
I just thought the original pine looked a lot lighter. I didn’t think an oil would darken it that much. I have original pine barn door and I would like it a touch darker. I thought an oil would just be a clear coat 

Hi @cclark347,

From the description and appearance, these are hardwood doors and not Pine. You could stain your Pine to get a slightly darker look like this, and it would be best to check out colour samples in-store to get an idea of what can be achieved.

You're correct that a clear oil won't darken your Pine to a similar look as these doors. That colouring comes from the hardwood, not the coating. The oil coating adds a slightly honey hue and darkens the timber ever so slightly.

Mitchell

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Hi @cclark347 

@MitchellMc  is on the money. These were hardwood doors and all that was needed was a natural hardwax oil. Feast Watson make a great product in the oil and also a stain.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects