Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Formal entrance created using single car garage

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Formal entrance created using single car garage

So, I bought this house that had the front entrance on a 2nd level on the back of the house. Obviously not ideal, especially when it came to deliveries. The only option in creating a new front entrance was to sacrifice the single garage. This is how how did it . . . . . IMG_6938.JPG

House front.png

Materials

90mm x 35mm pine

90mm x 45mm pine

10mm Plasterboard

45mm x 120mm Tasmanian Oak boards

Screw in concrete anchors

10mmm 1200 x 2400 panels

Blue board fibre cement sheet

Liquid nails

LED light strip, 12v transformer and cables

TAPO smart plug

Deluxe effects paint

Tools

Mitre Saw

Circular Saw

Reciprocating Saw

Drill

Impact Driver

Pneumatic hammer drill

Crowbars

Hammer

Tape Measure

Spirit Levels

16Ga Brad Nailer

Steps

Step 1

The first step was to apply for a building permit and have drawing submitted to be able to legally have the entrance classed as a living space.

The ground in front had to be dug out below the concrete slab and a drain installed across the front to ensure not water ingress.

Then the roller door was removed.

IMG_4960.jpeg

Step 2

I ordered a 1100mm solid timber door preinstalled to a jamb with side glazing. Once that arrived I was able to frame out the old garage opening to suit. I needed a hand from a mate with this project in various stages to help lift and position the new door into place.

031ff31b-d06f-4382-b022-95b78705b5c3.jpeg

Step 3

Around the same time I was also preparing the external brick work for rendering as they were not flat and needed to be hand ground down.

I fixed blue-board to the out entrance frame which was to be inlayed with a feature stone tile. Then tested the entrance with my first little visitor.

IMG_5896.jpegIMG_5879.jpeg

Step 4

Next was to render the blue-board, then pre-wire for feature lights and a Ring smart doorbell before installing the stonework.

With the drainage installed and approved I build a small entrance deck leading up the front door and landscaped each side.

IMG_6164.jpegIMG_6598.jpeg

IMG_6644.jpeg

Step 5

With the external entrance part finished, it was time to start on the internal space by gladding the brick with plasterboard and building a dividing wall within the old garage. Behind will eventually be a small living space as part of a new guest bedroom.

IMG_7126.jpegIMG_8759.JPG

Step 6

I wanted to open the staircase up leading up to the 2nd main level of the house as it was very narrow. I was inspired by some designed I had seen and came up with a timber slated feature that I made from Tassie-Oak. Once made, I then cut and prepared the staircase frame to accomodate.

I underestimated how heavy this was and called on my mate to give me a hand to install it. Then I was able to finish the walls.

IMG_7125.JPGIMG_8536.jpegIMG_8539.jpeg62eebe86-295b-4125-b95a-684fa7bf1b54.jpegIMG_8772.jpeg

Step 7

The left hand back wall was plasterboard which I finished with a Deluxe texture paint. the right side was MDF panelling to allow me to fix 19 x 42 DAR pine to.

11d60717-1a3d-409d-bb9a-a1f9072d78c8.jpeg

Step 8

I mounted timber blocks to the centre of the wall to fix a round feature miterer to give the impression it was floating off the rear wall. I had pre-run a cable to the back ready for an LED light strip I wrapped around behind the mirror. 

IMG_9404.jpeg

Step 9

Next step was to tile over the old concrete floor with large format tiles.

Then install the skirting, architraves and paint the walls.

IMG_8834.JPG

Step 10

Fit a new feature light and project completed.

IMG_0226.JPG5e199250-483a-47b9-8ea4-3ace53c9d2ca.jpgScreenshot 2024-07-12 at 9.29.21 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-07-12 at 10.28.55 PM.png

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: Formal entrance created using single car garage

Thank you very much @MrBajaj 

Dons-Glenno
Growing in Experience

Re: Formal entrance created using single car garage

Wow! What a stunning new entrance. Every aspect looks amazing. Well done 👏

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects