Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Filling in walls after electricial work

renorenoreno
Community Newcomer

Filling in walls after electricial work

Hi team :smile:

I've just had an electrician round who's installed several powerpoints in different rooms. 

For the new powerpoints installed on internal walls, he chased along the concrete walls (see photos #1 and #2). 

Screenshot 2024-10-18 at 7.49.01 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-10-18 at 7.49.05 PM.png

However,  for the powerpoints installed on walls that are also external, he holed into the wall and threaded the electrical through the cavity between the internal wall and external wall. See photos #3 and #4. The holes that are now left in the wall is about 12cm wide x 14 high and 12cm deep.

Screenshot 2024-10-18 at 7.49.12 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-10-18 at 7.49.20 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-10-18 at 7.49.33 PM.png

How do I fill in these large holes without also filling in the cavity between the internal/external walls?

What products should I use?

Thanks in advance!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Filling in walls after electricial work

Hello @renorenoreno 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about filling in the chase after electrical work.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - What can I use to fill a chase in brick laundry wall? by @rennochap23. In the discussion, I suggested using Sika 20kg Sika MonoTop-352NFG Structural Repair Mortar for its ability to fill deep channels. In regards to the large holes that go all the way through, I suggest putting in some bricks first and putting concrete on them to repair the hole made in the wall. It's important not to place the bricks too far to the back, the reason for this is so that you won't have to use a great deal of cement to patch up the front damage.

My best advice is not to mix the mortar too softly by using too much water. Your goal is to get the consistency of toothpaste so that it will not puddle to the bottom.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects