Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix cement sheet to Pine frame?

DAZ69
Just Starting Out

How to fix cement sheet to Pine frame?

What tools & fastening system do i use to fix 6mm cement sheet (1200 x 2400 ) boards externally to a pine stud frame & then apply vertical battens over the vertical joins in the sheets & then battens vertically in the centre of the sheets to create a paintable board & batten external look....

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cement Sheet + Batten Ext Cladding

Hello @DAZ69 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about fixings for external cladding. 

If you are using James Hardie HardieFlex™ 2400 x 1200 x 6mm Cladding 2.88m² it can be fixed in place using Buildex 9 - 10 x 32mm Zinc Alloy 3 Star Head Fibre Cement Screws if you are using a drill or Paslode 40 x 2.8mm 500g Galvanised Fibre Cement Nails if you are using a hammer. 

An example of a vertical timber batten you can use is the 42 x 11mm 5.4m H3 Treated Pine FJ DAR Primed LOSP, it's treated and designed for outdoor use. There are a number of sizes available, I suggest visiting your local store so that you choose which one you want.

On the condition that you'll be placing the timber strips over the studs you can use the same type of fixings, but much longer of course depending on the depth of the timber strip you choose. But what's important is that the screw or nail must reach the timber stud so that they are secure.  

Here is a link to the sheet's technical specifications and installation guide: HardieFlex sheet

Let me call on our experienced members @Nailbag, @TedBear and @Dave-1 for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: Cement Sheet + Batten Ext Cladding

Hi @DAZ69 following inline with @EricL advice you could you as an alternative to timber trims over the joints to use the James Hardy Trimline joint flashing. It comes in a range of finishes and widths at 3m lengths. It can be ordered through the trade desk

Regards, Nailbag.

hardie-14mm-aluminium-trimline-joint-flashing-306128-jameshardie-1__1_.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to fix cement sheet to Pine frame?

Morning @DAZ69 

I am trying to picture what you are describing, Is it you want to put up a sheet of hardiboard, but on the viewable surface have effectivly the relief of the studs and battens? 

I agree with @EricL with the fastening of the boards to the frame, The new frame (fake? frame) that you wantto be displayed could be put together on the floor then stood up and fastened at several points to the first frame(Using either nails driven in diagonaly or long screws through the cover frame and into the one holding the hardie sheet). I am thinking like two pieces of same cut bread with the hardboard sandwich.

Just not sure If I have it right? Any chance of a photo or a sketch? :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects