Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix dripping drainpipe problem?

Sofashaw
Finding My Feet

How to fix dripping drainpipe problem?

IMG_8089.jpgIMG_8088.jpg

Hi this drainpipe is outside my sons bedroom and when it rains it creates a loud dripping noise.

I have in the past taken off the bottom elbow bend and glued in a sponge which has reduced the sound to a more dull thud thud thud.

I have checked the top of the drain and there is no debris stuck and I have a gutter guard above the drain pipe. I haven't tried to use a downpipe cover yet as I think it is pointless as the water hits the first elbow then freefalls to the top of the next elbow which is where the noise is coming from.

I have thought of trying to feed a chain down the downpipe but trying to get it around the elbow without removing the drain is going to be painfully hard. Is it just a bad design or is there something anyone can think of doing to alleviate the noise that I haven't already thought of?

Thanks!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dripping Drainpipe problem!

Hi @Sofashaw,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

The idea of using a galvanised chain down the drainpipe is an interesting one that I had not heard of before but it certainly makes a lot of sense. This would give the water something to cling to while it falls, slowing it down so it doesn't hit the bend at velocity. 

An idea you could use to do this is to feed a DETA 5m Fibreglass Fishing Tape up through the pipe and then attach the chain to the bottom of it. You can then pull the fishing tape up through the pipe to pull the chain through.

Another idea that would certainly help is replacing the bend at the bottom with a duller angle so the water hitting it does not hit a flat surface. This would require a few modifications to the lower half of the downpipe, but it would certainly help reduce the sound.

Another thing to consider is changing the downpipe to PVC as opposed to metal. The dripping would still be present, but the sound would be different and potentially less annoying.

Ultimately, if the issue persists, it may be worth contacting a plumber for their assistance as I am sure they would have come across similar problems in their time.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they've got any ideas @Noyade, @TedBear, @Dave-1.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to fix dripping drainpipe problem?

Afternoon @Sofashaw 

I have the same problem! :smile: Tho with mine its a straight drip, dripping from the second story roof to the ground and then hitting the "bend" :smile:

My idea is almost the same as @JacobZ 's I was goingto suggest to use a Poly Eiger 4mm 3.6m Yellow Poly Cable Feeder and fasten one end to the side of your gutter (or tie a knot) and then feed it down the downpipe, the water would generally follow a line so it may follow the plastic strip and not fall as a drip. Less likely to clog up the pipe then a chain. I have seen the American version of a chain hanging ffrom the gutter to the ground in a vertical line and it seems to work very nicely tho dont know if its allowed in Aus?

I do like the sponge idea but would worry about it being dislodged and end up in the pipe further down 😕 The only other thing I can think of that is solid and wont tend to block the pipe is a rounded bend instead of a angled one?

Dave

Re: Dripping Drainpipe problem!

Thanks for the advice, I have decided to try the Cable feeder and see how it goes!

Thanks - I am going to try the cable feeder secured by a clip. If it doesn't work I can then use the cable feeder to feed a chain down the pipe.

With regards to the chain hanging I don't know if they are illegal? Given how woke things are people may be worried about a child or dog getting accidentally caught up in them and have banned them!!! I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Were you going to place the chain inside the downpipe or remove the downpipe and just have the chain @Sofashaw? I can't see any issue inside the pipe. Outside the pipe, since it's not at ground level, I can't see an issue there either, though I'd be hesitant to remove the pipe.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I tried the cable feeder but unfortunately it won't bend around the first elbow to go down so I'll have to try the more expensive option of the fishing tape and / or chain

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sofashaw 

Just out of curiosity would the Pinnacle 4.8mm x 3m Yellow Plastic Long Link Chain work inside the downpipe? You can add a nut and bolt at the end of the chain to act as weight to pull the chain down the downpipe.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @Sofashaw 

A trick of the trade is to turn the feeder as you feed it down the pipe, Ive managed to get a lot of cables fed along twisting paths this way. Patience and repatition 😕 Sometimes even bend a bit of a kink to it.

Dave

Great news, I managed to get the cable feeder down the pipe. I used an old thin butter knife down the side of the link that had a small gap to help the cable feeder around the corner . I also used a file to sharpen the end of the cable feeder to stop it from catching.  Now I need it to rain to test out the theory!

thanks to all that contributed!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects