Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do you need a vapour barrier behind wall insulation batts?

michaeljb
Just Starting Out

Do you need a vapour barrier behind wall insulation batts?

I'm insulating all the walls. It's single brick . I will use rockwool r2.5 acoustic batts

Do I need a vapor barrier filt behind the batts for extra protection? I do live in melbourne

thanks  IMG_20240918_081841.jpg

IMG_20240918_081849.jpg

  

IMG_20240918_081849.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do you need a vapour barrier behind wall insulation batts?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @michaeljb. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing insulation.

It's important to have sarking as it prevents your insulation batts from coming in contact with the bricks and mortar and wicking moisture from them to the timber frame. You can retrofit Ametalin 1370mm x 30m VapourTech Brane VHP Vapour Permeable Wall Insulation between studs. Measure the width between your studs and add 100mm to that. Cut the sarking into strips and use a staple gun to staple 50mm to the side of one stud at the back. Place a staple every 200mm. Transfer across to the next stud and staple it to the side of that one. Repeat this across the span. You'll then be able to install your wall insulation.

Here's an image of how it's done on floor joists, and it will be the same with your wall studs.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I did found some information and it says I have to place it next to the internal wall lining? That means I have to also put it in between the gyprock and insulation batts? Ametalin recommended that in colder climates like Melbourne 

Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I spoke with Ametalin technical support, and I have advised what they suggested, @michaeljb. There was no mention of needing to line between the batt and wall lining. If you can link me to the information you've come across from them, I'd be happy to follow up for qualification.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects