Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I need glue to fix sagging ceiling?

mike21000
Just Starting Out

Do I need glue to fix sagging ceiling?

Hi all - we’ve noticed the ceiling in our living room is sagging. Several nails are now visible and at either end of the room there’s probably 3-5mm drop (based on pushing the ceiling up and the gap along the nails). The centre of the ceiling seems fine.

I’ve gone into the roof and can see it looks like it wasn’t glued extensively when installed. It’s a 1980s house and we’ve moved in a year ago. 

Hearing mixed messages about if I need to re-glue, prop up with supports and screw the board back into the timber or if screws alone are sufficient. 

Is this a DIY job? Should also note we’re looking to do renovations in a few years so trying to avoid replacing the ceiling before then. 

Michael

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do I need glue to fix sagging ceiling?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mike21000. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing a hanging ceiling.

Since the ceiling appears in otherwise good condition, you can prop the plaster against the ceiling joist and tap the nails back into place. You can then install additional screws into the joists to provide extra support. It's best to prop the plaster up (you could just have a helper push it up as you move along) instead of having the screws pull it up as their heads could break through it.

There's no requirement to use adhesive as long as you use an adequate amount of screws. I'd recommend fixing off every 50cm along the joists.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell! I appreciate you responding so promptly. 

That sounds good. I’ve seen online people suggesting using plasterboard washers (like the below). Are they required? Also, because I’m definitely a rookie, what screws would you recommend?

mike21000_0-1682221562662.png

Washers aren't required when you install the sheeting, so I see no reason why they would be now @mike21000. The only benefit I see to them is you wouldn't need to install as many screws as they have a larger head. I'd push the sheet up and drive in a couple of Zenith 8G x 50mm Gold Passivated Bugle Head Plasterboard Screws. If those hold it in place and their heads don't tear through the sheets then you're good to continue. 

When installing the screws, take it slow when their heads reach the sheet. It's easy to over-drive them, you want their heads to finish just below the surface of the sheet.

After you've installed the screws, you can cover their heads with filler. Allow it to dry, and sand back the area with 180-grit sandpaper, so it's smooth to the touch. Undercoat the filled areas and after it's dry you can paint with a ceiling white. To get a great result, you'll likely need to paint the whole ceiling or your touchups will be noticeable.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects