Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I need an 18 Guage or 16 Guage brad nailer?

HumzaB
Community Newcomer

Do I need an 18 Guage or 16 Guage brad nailer?

Hey Everyone, I hope you are all doing good!

I need a nail gun for a variety of projects, from woodworking furniture projects to building a pantry under my stairs and slightly re-building said stairs, it is to be used in a lot of different projects but I only have enough money for one of them.

It should be noted that this is regarding the Ryobi brand Brad nailers.

The 16 gauge is R16GN18

The 18 gauge is R18GN18

Which one should I get?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hey everyone, Do I need an 18 Guage or 16 Guage brad nailer?

Hi @HumzaB,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

The Ryobi 18V ONE+ 16GA Brad Nailer uses thicker 16-gauge nails, making it ideal for attaching larger trim, baseboards, and cabinetry where a strong hold is needed. It drives nails between 19mm and 65mm in length, leaving slightly larger nail holes than an 18-gauge nailer. This tool is suitable for finish work that will be painted or filled. 

The Ryobi 18V ONE+ 18GA Brad Nailer uses thinner 18-gauge nails and is perfect for lighter trim, delicate mouldings, and small woodworking projects where smaller nail holes are preferred. This nailer drives nails between 16mm and 50mm, making it ideal for finer finish work. Its smaller nails help avoid splitting and leave less noticeable holes. 

In contrast, a framing nailer, like this Ryobi One+ 18V Li-Ion Cordless Nail Gun is built for heavy-duty structural work like framing walls or building decks. It uses much thicker nails, typically 10- to 12-gauge, ranging from 50mm to 90mm in length. This tool is not suited for finish work, as it leaves large nail holes designed for strength rather than aesthetics. 

Of the three options I've mentioned, my suggestion would be the R16GN18 as it fires slightly heavier nails while still being able to do finish work at a reasonably high standard.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects