Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do Bunnings sell thick pieces of timber?

lanklan
Finding My Feet

Do Bunnings sell thick pieces of timber?

I am looking for some timber with the dimensions of 6cm x 74cm x ~30cm. Does Bunnings sell timber that is big/thick enough to have this all be one piece?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do Bunnings sell thick pieces of timber?

Hello @lanklan

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about timber.

Can I please ask for a little bit more information about your timber size dimensions? In millimetres, your measurements are 60mm x 740mm x 300mm. Can you please assign the length, width, and height to the corresponding measurements? One way to achieve this timber size is to use 2250 x 600mm 30mm Plywood Pine BC Grade. You would need to glue two pieces together to get the 60mm thickness and then you can cut it to your preferred size.

If you can tell us what you're using it for, our members can probably make more suggestions on how to assemble this particular timber size. Will it be carrying any weight? Is it to be used for a type of framing? Are you using it as a shelf? Any information you can provide would be much appreciated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @EricL ,

Thanks for the reply.

The dimensions would be 740mm (L) x 60mm (W) x Height (303mm).

It is being used as a platform to support the front two legs of a fridge. Our situation is that we have a place for a fridge to go in our apartment that is elevated, but it isn't deep enough for our fridge, so the front feet of the fridge hang over the edge slightly. An image of the space is below (ignore measurements as they are inaccurate).

Would the two pieces of the suggested timber be strong enough to support this? It seems like with this timber, the timber pieces would be sitting on their side.

IMG_1511.PNG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lanklan

Thanks for sharing the picture of the space for your fridge. It seems from the picture that the height of the raised area is taller than the 60mm you specified. However, In regards to my recommendation of using 2250 x 600mm 30mm Plywood Pine BC Grade, it should meet up with your fridge feet. I've placed a diagram below, can you please tell me if the orientation is correct? The panel I've recommended is the closest one to the sizes you require.

Please let me know if you need it in another position, I'll be more than happy to redraw it for you. 

Eric

Hi @EricL ,

The height from the floor is 303mm, and then needs to come out from the wall by 60mm.
Thanks for the drawing! The orientation of your drawing would need to be standing on its side longways.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lanklan

In that case, I suggest using 90 x 45mm Framing MGP10 Untreated Pine or 70 x 45mm Framing MGP10 Untreated Pine. You can secure the entire assembly with two packs of Zenith 10G x 100mm Tufcote® Countersunk Rib Head Treated Pine Screws - 8 Pack. It would be safer to use thicker timber to prevent the assembly from tipping over. I suggest screwing the frame to the existing raised area to make sure that it is secure.

My number one tip is to make sure to drill pilot holes for the screws to prevent snapping the heads off drilling into the timber. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them. 

Eric

Hi @EricL ,

Thanks for suggesting this - I hadn’t thought of doing it this way and definitely think it would be a better solution. Really appreciate all your help!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lanklan

I'm glad I was able to help. Just in case you wish to smarten the look of the frame, you can cover the front with a piece of 6mm MDF Panel Standard. If you've got leftover paint this would be the perfect opportunity to use it on the timber frame. However, if do need paint I suggest getting Taubmans 500ml White Sample Pot. It's the perfect amount for your project.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your extension piece installed and ready for use.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects