Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DETA and IPV6

Glockers
Growing in Experience

DETA and IPV6

I have a few DETA Connectgrid plug ends installed on some electrical towels rails. They have worked fine up until I change internet provider to Telstra. After wasting several hours trying to re-connect using the online help I rang them and was told that Connectgrid doesn't support IPV6 and they have no plans to do so.

Unfortunately the rest of the world has moved or is moving to IPV6 which means that the whole DETA range is pretty much useless.

Do you have any suggestions? Returning these would require me to get an electrician back to uninstall them...

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: DETA and IPV6

@Glockers you can also try to repair them in AP mode I was reading on another forum this was working for some.

Directions below.

https://grid-connect.com.au/ap-mode-pairing/

Glockers
Growing in Experience

Tried AP, tried 2.4. Gridconnect said it was IPV4 or nothing. Mind you this is not mentioned anywhere even on Telstra specific troubleshooting articles…

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

How'd you go contacting Telstra about allowing IPV4 devices to connect to your router, @Glockers? Telstra has several guides on how to do this on their various models of routers. All of their routers have had this ability, but perhaps this is the first model that won't recognise IPV4 devices. I believe it does come from the factory with the default setting of IPV6. Have you confirmed with Telstra that there isn't a setting for IPV4V6? The Grid-Connect tech assist I spoke to has a Telstra Smart Modem, and his Grid-Connect devices connect to it. Perhaps it's a previous model that supported IPV4, though.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Glockers
Growing in Experience

At this stage I don’t plan to speak to Telstra. Will try Tuya option first but not until Monday

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@Glockers 

I would try AP mode first in Grid Connect then if no luck head over to Tuya, try EZ mode then if nothing AP mode.

Glockers
Growing in Experience

As above I tried that before speaking yo Connectgrid who said the issue is IPV6

Glockers
Growing in Experience

Does Tuya need to be on a 2.4 network? And what device should I choos. I have the DETA 3pin plugs and there doesn't appear to be an equivalent listed unless its "Plug (BLE and Wifi)?. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Let me know if you run out of options @Glockers, and I'd be happy to put you in touch we a Manager at your nearest Bunnings store to discuss what options are available for returning the items.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Glockers
Growing in Experience

Hi all, Tried Tuya and have sent following to them for further help.

“Hi Ian, Got your number off the Tuya forum. I have a couple of DETA plug ends which no longer work as my new internet supplier (Telstra) has provided an IPV6 router. I have set up a 2.4 network and also tried AP but no help. GridConnect support have said that IPV6 is not supported and have no plans to do so. Bunnings forum suggested trying Tuya and I have done so and get a little bit further in the process but still no joy. If I hold down the reset button until it gets to slow blinking the app says to find the SmartLife hotspot. The only one I can see is an Arlec one. I join this and it seems to connect but the phone goes to 4g mode and nothing happens. Previously in GC it would reject the Arlec link after 20 seconds and say network unavailable. Thanks Mark

Glockers
Growing in Experience

I can set up an IPV4 channel in principle but without "ProtocolDestination port and Destination IP address for the forward" I cannot complete the steps. Does anyone know how I can work this out please?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects