Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use water based enamel on oil based prep coat?

Vegemite
Finding My Feet

Can you use water based enamel on oil based prep coat?

Hi guys,

I am trying to repaint my windows which have paint peeling off due to condensation and aging. 

i was  recommended using Taubman Stain Blocker as prep coat and another Taubman water based enamel product. 

I am now told that water based will not work with oil based. 

What should I do? 

Thank you

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: water based enamel on oil based prep coat

Hi @Vegemite,

Thank you for your question about painting water-based enamel paint on oil-based primer.

Ideally, you would use an oil-based primer with oil-based paint, but it is still likely possible if your preparation is good, and the products are compatible.

Unfortunately, Taubman's technical team are not currently available for comment as they are closed on weekends. If you could advise which specific water-based enamel paint you are planning to use, I would be happy to confirm their compatibility when they reopen tomorrow.

If you want to be sure of compatibility, you might like to return the water-based enamel paint and pick up some Taubmans oil based enamel paint.

Also, please feel free to ask any other questions you might have, I'd be more than happy to assist.

Jacob

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Vegemite,

Taubmans' technical team have informed me that there are no issues whatsoever with using these two products together.

For best results, you might like to check out How to paint like a professional for some guidance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Thank you @JacobZ  for following up.

I checked on Dulux data spec (Taubman has nothing on their website) and turns out they got a similar Stain Blocker product and Dulux said can go under water based topcoats being a primer. 

Now I understand Water based topcoat cannot go on Oil based topcoat but can go on a primer.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects