Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you leave Swap n Go gas bottles permanently outside?

markash10
Just Starting Out

Can you leave Swap n Go gas bottles permanently outside?

Hi there, I trust you are well. I currently have an Elgas 45kg cylinder servicing our limited gas needs(cooktop and BBQ). Given the cost of gas, the annual service fee from Elgas and the small amount of gas required, I was considering getting ride of the Elgas supply and changing to a Swap n Go option. My concern is whether the Swap n Go gas cylinder is durable enough to be left outside in the weather conditions 100% of the time? I am estimating that I would look to swap the cylinder every six months and didn’t want to return a potentially weathered cylinder when to came time to swap. I have attached photos of the current set up for your review and feedback.

Look forward to hearing from you please before to connect the Swap n Go cylinderIMG_2100.jpegIMG_2099.jpeg.

cheers

Mark

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you leave Swap n Go gas bottles permanently outside?

Hi @markash10,

I've spoken with Elgas, who own Swap'N'Go, and they've said that's perfectly fine. The 9kg bottle might go a bit rusty, but that shouldn't be an issue when it comes to exchanging. Weathered cylinders are fine to return to us, but it becomes an issue due to safety when they almost have holes in them. That shouldn't happen unless they've been outside for several years.

Apparently, it's very common for people who only use gas for cooking to run a 9kg instead of 45kg. 

The only issue is going to be the pigtail height on the wall. As with the 45kg the 9kg needs to sit on a concrete slab. You might need to have a gas fitter come in and re-route the plumbing further down the wall for connection.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Can you leave Swap n Go gas bottles permanently outside?

Thanks Mitchell,

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects