Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

10amp vs 15amp power supply

PeterHart
Finding My Feet

10amp vs 15amp power supply

I currently have a gas-cook-top free standing oven with an electric; grill, light, starter and fan which has 10amp plug-in supply.

I intend replacing it with a duel-fuel oven which requires a 15amp socket (ie. no need for hard wiring).

I presume my wall socket is only 10amp.

Can I use an, ‘Arlec 10A to 15A Compact Single Power Adaptor PB92’ or will I have to have the whole circuit wired back to the Board.

In have no intention of carrying out the work myself. The gas fitting I understand, I just want to know what electrical work may be involved.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: 10amp vs 15amp power supply

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @PeterHart. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about 10 and 15amp sockets.

I would recommend you have an electrician install a 15amp socket. The Arlec product has a maximum current rating of 10amp. Basically, this means that it allows you to plug your 15amp device into a 10amp socket, but if the draw is too high, it will trip the overload protection in it. Devices are equipped with a 15amp plug for a reason, and that is because they have a higher draw. 

There might be situations where there's a 15amp device with a low power setting mode, and this device would let it run on a 10amp circuit. So, hypothetically, if the hotplates are electric on the new cooktop, the Arlec product might let it run with three plates on, but it you turn the fourth on, it will trip because there is too much draw for your 10amp circuit. The overload on this device will simply trip instead of the one on your circuit board.

Unfortunately, this device doesn't allow you to run 15amp devices on a 10amp circuit, as it would appear at face value. It's catering to what I would believe to be a relatively small amount of devices that are equipped with a 15amp plug, that don't actually need to be.

Let me also add a couple of our electricians to the discussion to see if they might like to add their thoughts: @MikeTNZ and @CSParnell.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PeterHart
Finding My Feet

I’ve just answered my own question re. ‘Arlec 10A to 15A Compact Single Power Adaptor PB92’.

I thought it was too good to be true.

Yes, it will plug in, but when the Oven draws more than 10amps, the Circuit Breaker will trip, so this Adaptor will not solve my problem.

‘Back to the drawing board.’

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @PeterHart,

The only difference between a 10 ampere socket-outlet and a 15 ampere socket-outlet, is the size of the Earth pin on a 15 ampere socket is larger.

The actual Phase and neutral pins are effectively the same size in both configurations.

You can plug a 10A plug into a 15A socket, but not the other way around, if that makes sense.

Personally, I would prefer that you have an electrician replace your 10A socket (if that is what it is) with a 15A type and at the same time they will check to see that the wiring and circuit protection is suitably rated for this change.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects