Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

question of direction of skillion roof for firewood storage

PatDIY_Dad
Building a Reputation

question of direction of skillion roof for firewood storage

More or a.info question then a how to do question about skillion roofed firewood storage 

I just finished building one out of pallets I got for free and spare hardwood boards I had. The only thing I did differently which wasn't intentional was the angle of the roof is lower at the front

Would this be any disadvantage vs water running off from the back ? I noticed most videos of this design have the water running down at the back instead

I want to have my storage sitting against a shed wall

If its a big deal I'll.change it but if not I'll leave it

Picture attached is the one I made

YouTube link is one of the videos I'm talking about 

https://youtu.be/8QbSYn-rtVk?si=TzXTR8IYzJbfdh5J

1000007120.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: question of direction of skillion roof for firewood storage

Hi @PatDIY_Dad,

Thank you for sharing the photo of your firewood storage, it looks great.

Considering you are planning to have it up against a shed wall, my first thought was that you would want the water to run away from it, which it would in the current orientation.

Ultimately the orientation of the roof wouldn't have too much of an effect, but it should not negatively affect the existing shed, which could happen if you are directing water towards it, so I'd keep it as it is.

Let me tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any thoughts, @Dave-1, @DIYGnome, @TedBear.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @PatDIY_Dad ,

The only disadvantage that I can imagine is that the flow of water off the roof toward the front may blow in and wet your stored wood.  The solution to that would be to add a gutter along the front of the roof to take the water to the side.

PatDIY_Dad
Building a Reputation

Thanks I'm just going to leave it

PatDIY_Dad
Building a Reputation

No worries 

It will be negligible. Probably get more wind blowing rain through the gapes because of the position I plan to put it in

Afternoon @PatDIY_Dad 

:smile: late to the party and its solved lol I like @TedBear's suggestion of a gutter as well.

Nice build btw :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects