How to cover a patio?

markwatts
Just Starting Out

How to cover a patio?

IMG_7035.jpeg

IMG_7037.jpeg

IMG_7037.jpeg

Hi guys,

Firstly, I have been using your forum for a while now and it’s great!

Question: how or what should I do with this landing area ? 
I don’t think it’s possible to put decking here given no room under the patio doors.

What options do I have? I’m looking for inspiration!

Thx Mark

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cover a concrete patio?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @markwatts. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about balcony coverings.

If you have a zero-height gap between your flooring and doors, then anything that has a thickness to it would be excluded. Given that, the simplest option might be to paint the area again. Since you already have a compromised coating, you can either remove it and coat it with concrete paint or use the Rust-Oleum 3.78L Concrete and Garage Recoat Primer and then concrete paint.

You could consider synthetic turf over this area if you have a few millimetres under the door. @JoshRaf covered some unsightly concrete with it in their balcony makeover. With the right styling, synthetic turf can look fabulous.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
markwatts
Just Starting Out

Thanks for the reply MitchellMc,

I might have mislead you, the balcony isn’t actually concrete it’s like a plasterboard material.

What should I use to cover this ?

thx Mark

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @markwatts 

It had me fooled as well, I thought it was concrete! How much space between the board and the timber edge underneath the metal of the door frame do you have?

I have seen timber tile squares at Ikea that have very little height and would work well in this instance (depending on that height) They arnt tiles, just timber on a plastic frame.

Mmmm looking at it again as you are looking for insperation. You have fake grass, marine carpet even that may enlarge on what can be done for the area. 

Dave

Hi @markwatts,

I'm not aware of any plasterboard-type materials that would be used on an elevated deck. Perhaps I misled you with the product suggestions. I presume it is compressed cement sheeting, which is commonly used for elevated areas. Concrete paints would be the most suitable products for your cement sheeting.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks MitchellMc, 

that’s a great help!

will keep you updated of this project.

appreciate your help

Thanks Dave!

there is t much of a gap so I think we will go carpet route.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects