Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are removable fabric attachment options?

Narla
Building a Reputation

What are removable fabric attachment options?

IMG_9418.jpeg

Hi all:) I’m looking for a product to stick a velcro backed car door pocket onto the fabric part of the door without it damaging the fabric if I want to remove it later. It came with its own adhesive backing but I’m not confident of what type it is. I’m wondering if a double sided tape or something like 3M dual lock could work? Thanks very much 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removable Fabric attachment options

Hi @Narla,

Many thanks for your question.

That's a tough one because high-tack adhesive will certainly leave residue behind, but low-tack adhesive will struggle to maintain its hold in the potentially high heat experienced in a car.

Unfortunately, I can't think of a way that would completely avoid residue being left behind that would have enough holding power to keep the bag in place.

You could try using Permastik 50m x 12mm Low Tack Double Sided Tape, but I'm not sure how well it would stand up to the heat in the car.

Let me tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any ideas, @Dave-1, @DIYGnome, @Jewelleryrescue.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with or if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @Narla 

I have used the velcro dots with the sticky back from bunning before, however they were holding up only light weights tho did tend to last a long time (year plus) What weights would be in the pouch? When I was looking for velcro products I did find a few in Spotlight and that was a few years ago so maybe there are newer types that wont leave as much residue. 

Does your door have smoothish hard plastic? It would be easier to remove the dots/strip back from that down the track or if it fails.

Dave

Narla
Building a Reputation

Thanks very much @JacobZ 

Narla
Building a Reputation

Hi @Dave-1 thanks for reply. The pouch itself is under 100gms so I’d say with items in it maybe 200gms? The part of the door I’m wanting to stick it too is a type of fabric whereas the rest of the door is plastic. I’m thinking a little residue wouldn’t be the end of the world I’m just paranoid about it removing the fabric lol

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Narla,

Would it be possible to use the supplied adhesive pad on the plastic door portion below the fabric?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Narla 

Would it be possible to have the attachment points on teh smooth plastic so you could use something sticky with the end dropping down to that softer surface where you want it to sit?

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects